Tusq saddle

pulelehua

Reaction score
Just installed a new Tusq saddle on my Kala Acacia concert to replace the wobbly ebony one on there. Having played a fair bit today, it is brighter. It does have better sustain. It's not a world of difference, but if you'd like just a bit more air in your tone, it does seem to have done the trick.

I'm really used to the sound of my ukulele with Aquilas, but changed recently to Worth BMs. So, I feel a bit like I've kept the nice feel and texture of the Worths, but got back a bit of the brightness of the Aquilas.

Not bad for $13. And was easy enough to install.

We dont beleive you without pictures.. lol..

Aloha Pulelehua,
Glad to hear it improved your ukes tone, substain, and it is brighter. Did you have to adjust the saddle(sand it to correct height?)
Did you change the saddle and strings the same time????or did you put the worth's on before???
BTW- What kind of material is Tusq anyways?? where did you buy your saddle from, online?????
Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us. "Keep them strings vibrating" Uke On!!! MM Stan....

The ukulele is at school (work) and me and my camera are home. It's not much to look at. Just white instead of very dark brown. Yes, required LOTS of sanding. It recommends 200 grade sandpaper, but I had 120 and 600 wet/dry, so it was 120 for a bit, then 600 to refine. I had to create a peak, which isn't as rounded as the original, so I'm not sure how that will affect string life. I just took the strings off the tuning pegs, then reattached them. Bridge knots stayed the whole time. Tusq is "man-made ivory". Bought from graphtech online. Had to have it sent to my parents in California, then had them ship it here. It's tiny, so I saved a bit on shipping in the long run.

I left the action slightly higher, as I had some buzz on my C with Aquilas. Hasn't been a problem with the Worths, but I figured if I ever switch back, better to head that problem off at the pass.

Is it any different than "Bone"? I use both bone nut and saddle, and just prefer that.

I also like a low action, so it is important to keep up with the frets to be sure they stay seated, and level. I like my fingers to flow over the frets with little pressure. for me, chord progressions are just much smoother and seemless. That, and I pick the blues allot, and the notes just glide into each other. People say my playing is so smooth, but in reality, it's just a well maintained, low action of my instruments. I was the same way when I played the bass..

Aloha Pulelehua,
Many thanks for sharing the process with us, was the peak compensation for additional height or to set the right
scale length. What was the total time of the process? We all as uke players have the urge to impove our ukes in some manner
or form whether by just changing the strings or changing some components of the original design to improve it. I,m glad
to hear that you have achieved success with your ukes sound quality. Btw what is the hardness of tusq compared
to bone????Anyways, happy playing ahead!!!!!Ho'o lono ana I Ke Kani hone hone a ka ukulele- Pause to listen
to the sweet sound of the ukulele...."Keep them strings vibrating" Uke On!! MM Stan...

Aloha Tudorp,
I also like bone for it's hardness only thing it's smells when working with it. I've heard others use deer horn....
Maybe Tusq as a synthetic is an improved option now. Any other UUer's out there wish to comment.
I also prefer the lower action for easier playability and smoothness. People listening can really notice
the difference as you say. Ho'o lono ana i ke kani hone hone a ka ukulele- Pause to listen to the
sweet sound of trhe ukulele!!! Keep them strings vibrating...Uke On!! MM Stan...

Aloha Tudorp,
I also like bone for it's hardness only thing it's smells when working with it.

Yes, smells like burnt hair But it does transmit sound better than plastic. Try lower sanding speeds if possible.

Whole process took about 20 minutes. I've never worked with bone, so can't compare consistencies. Working with 120, you could overwork it pretty easily. The raising the action (about 0.1mm - tiny adjustment) was just to compensate on the C string. I actually sloped it slightly toward the A string. Hoping it won't affect intonation too much. I did creep the contact point ever so slightly forward to try to compensate.

I've always liked action a bit medium/high. I like smooth sometimes, but I also like bang, thwack, karunch from time to time.

Whole process took about 20 minutes. I've never worked with bone, so can't compare consistencies. Working with 120, you could overwork it pretty easily. The raising the action (about 0.1mm - tiny adjustment) was just to compensate on the C string. I actually sloped it slightly toward the A string. Hoping it won't affect intonation too much. I did creep the contact point ever so slightly forward to try to compensate.

I've always liked action a bit medium/high. I like smooth sometimes, but I also like bang, thwack, karunch from time to time.

A fan of medium/high myself, even kind of high (a great anti-theft device). Check out the review BTW on Ukulele Player 13 of Kala's new soprano offering where "slightly higher action" seems to be part of the design for better tone and projection. What will they think of next?

Glad you're getting things better there with the acacia and the Worth's and yes, good ol' medium/high action!!!

Side joke: Aquila will be calling their new improved strings...la Nylona...

Last edited:
Aloha Luvdatuke,
It's a sacafrice, Playability for tone. It's personal perference and what's more comfortable for you.
I have several ukes and thank God they are all different, can't imagine they all being the same.....
But that just my humble opinion....Until next time guys...."keep um strings vibrating!!!!" Uke On!!
MM Stan..

Last edited:
Aloha Luvdatuke,
It's a sacafrice, Playability for tone. It's personal perference and what's more comfortable for you.
I have several ukes and thank God they are all different, can't imagine they all being the same.....
But that just my humble opinion....Until next time guys...."keep um strings vibrating!!!!" Uke On!!
MM Stan..

One solution and upgrade is becoming a better player. I really do think the rush to lower action (for a lot of people) is a sacrifice not worth making. Yeah maybe lowering action later for most...but not a lot. I agree though, it's what you like...and for me listening, what others hear...I am NOT saying folks shouldn't lower action to their preferences...but I think though initial playability preferences for some can backfire later...

BTW on something like a budget rpiced LU-21TE...the action is notably lower and I prefer it that way for the sake of a lower output (acoustically) better sound (when plugged in) using inexpensive electronics...and a better amp.

Back to the OP: congrats and the best to him!!!

Last edited:
Aloha Again Luvdatuke,
I ussually don't prefer to mention ukulele brands however, my last aquirement was an Oscar Schmidt Ou-2
and it has become my daily player. I took ukulele Mike's suggestion and tried one. It was only $69.00 plus
shipping of $11.00 from Musician Friend. I enjoy it very much, the only problem is that you have to tune it
by ear, due to bad intonation but it can be resolved because it doesn't work for me in the standard GCEA. The reason I'm mentioning this is it comes
with very low action but retains its volume. Stringed with some thin black strings, thath looks like Hilo's
or black Martins and it works really good for this uke. These types of string work well for solid Mahogany
ukes. Anyone else would like to comment and share with us would be appricited.
Until next time, Keep um strings vibrating....Uke On!!! MM Stan...

Last edited:
Thanks MM first for actually mentioning a brand your happy with like OS. Second for mentioning Hilos. Hilos: good enough for James Hill but not apparently for most folks on uke forums?

The Hilos on my higher action Lanikai S-T work very very well...might slightly lower action later (to coincide with aging, LOL)...but now enjoying the sound great intonation and playability believe it or not for my styles...

Just to say I do of course recommend addressing action related to intonation issues...once the strings settle in, but still, not going "too far."

Last edited:
Thanks MM first for actually mentioning a brand your happy with like OS. Second for mentioning Hilos. Hilos: good enough for James Hill but not apparently for most folks on uke forums?

The Hilos on my higher action Lanikai S-T work very very well...might slightly lower action later (to coincide with aging, LOL)...but now enjoying the sound great intonation and playability believe it or not for my styles...

Just to say I do of course recommend addressing action related to intonation issues...once the strings settle in, but still, not going "too far."

Aloha Luvdatuke,
I've noticed when I've got intonation issues, first thing I'll try is.Hilo's. I would address them on this ukulele however i am worried if
I do adjust the tuning, I might lose the sound I currently have now which I like very much.
BTW=-my strings proballby broken in a few days. What I also like about this uke is that it stays in tune fora long time and the sealed geared tuners do a good job. Anyways until next time Aloha
"Keep on vibrating them strings" Uke On!!!! MM Stan
fix the intonation that might change.

mm stan:

I decided to loosen the strings and remove the saddle for a look see. First I gently tapped the side with the rubber covered end of a pliers to center it better and then noted (it wasn't wobbly) but there did appear to be a slight height where after tapping down it didn't go all the way into the slot. I took it out and underneath came out a sliver of rosewood...in the thickest section (it came from under the saddle near the middle I think) about 1/16th of an inch (2/32"?). I put the saddle back in...tuned up...checked intonation much improved at the 12th fret (had been sharp) with noted lowering at 12th fret slightly less tension but noticeable. Still higher than most folks would like but what I love...with improved musicality sustain (optimum string tension now vs. bow and arrow level, LOL).

Back to the OP: he'll verify that slight differences count and why you gotta go slow. I'm thankful I didn't have to mess with the saddle itself...but take out something underneath it.

Last edited:
Aloha Luvdatuke,
Thanks for the update, my point exactly too. Don't take drastic measures immediately, try to think it out
and do an inspection of the troubled area. Sometimes you get lucky, and it could be a simple and logical
fix. And other times when you rush, you rush to judgement and that could lead to a bigger job than was
originally needed. You never know, Thank God on this one....now enjoy the quality of your success!!
Until Next time, "Keep vibrating them strings" Uke On!!! MM Stan....

Aloha Luvdatuke,
Thanks for the update, my point exactly too. Don't take drastic measures immediately, try to think it out
and do an inspection of the troubled area. Sometimes you get lucky, and it could be a simple and logical
fix. And other times when you rush, you rush to judgement and that could lead to a bigger job than was
originally needed. You never know, Thank God on this one....now enjoy the quality of your success!!
Until Next time, "Keep vibrating them strings" Uke On!!! MM Stan....

Believe it or not I did thank God and for folks such as yourself and others here.

Just installed a new Tusq saddle on my Kala Acacia concert to replace the wobbly ebony one on there. Having played a fair bit today, it is brighter. It does have better sustain. It's not a world of difference, but if you'd like just a bit more air in your tone, it does seem to have done the trick.
I've put Tusq saddles on two ukes: a cigar box cedar and a Pono mango. Made an audible difference to both, most particularly the mango, which I found a bill dull before. It's definitely brighter now.

Today I picked up two pieces of specially cut glass to test as saddles on other ukes. That should be an interesting experiment.

Top Bottom