About fingernails

megamatt

Reaction score
I've seen some people say some passing comments about breaking a nail or the like and I was wondering what's the general (I know it's going to spawn all kinds of "It's your preference" type answers) consensus about fingernails and such. Is it only important for picking purposes, or is there benefit in having sort of longer nails in general?

In my experience so far I've been keeping my nails a teeny bit longer then before since it kind of hits the string harder, but what do you :bowdown: masters do?

Hey Matt,

I've been trying to grow my right hand nails for a while, with limited success. It seems I'm a bit of a klutz, so they get broken alot and I end up having to file them down again, but each time they grow back they come back thicker, and they were pretty thin to start with.

Anyways, when they are long enough to use for picking, they work well with practice. I'm not too well versed here yet, just trying to use them for small fills between strums.

Guting, a fellow UU member has got some friggin' vampire claws. Check out some of his vids, he REALLY knows how to work them.

Here's a few threads you might like to refer to;

http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747&highlight=nails

http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=947&highlight=nails

http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428&highlight=nails

http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1049&highlight=nails

Have fun!

I used to be all into the "Vampire claws" deal because it made picking a whole lot easier.

I'm more focused on tone now. When you have super long nails, it seems that the nails hit the string more than your fingers do. This creates a bright sound because of less density and weight coming from the nails. I keep mine shorter than usual because when you have a good balance between nail and flesh, it gives off a nice warm tone. The density coming from your nail and your flesh combined with the way you attack the strings, will shape your tone.

It's kind of hard to explain but I've been trying to make a uke minute about nails and ways to attack the strings.

Thanks for both your posts guys, I'll stick with what I have now I think. My fingers are very small and picking doesn't seem to be a problem for me, and also trying to keep a players manicure would be tough in my line of work.

I used to be all into the "Vampire claws" deal because it made picking a whole lot easier.

I'm more focused on tone now. When you have super long nails, it seems that the nails hit the string more than your fingers do. This creates a bright sound because of less density and weight coming from the nails. I keep mine shorter than usual because when you have a good balance between nail and flesh, it gives off a nice warm tone. The density coming from your nail and your flesh combined with the way you attack the strings, will shape your tone.

It's kind of hard to explain but I've been trying to make a uke minute about nails and ways to attack the strings.

concurrence,

I rock the vamp claws at random these days.

i found (today, after i broke my thumb nail), that i cant tremolo for my life without my nail

i have my right hand nails grown but my left arn't because the nail tends to touch the other string when im holding the one below it down and makes some weird noise... although when i strum up i strum with the meat part not the nail part - different tones and what not

Heres my 2cents

About probably 6 months ago i used to grow my thumb and also my pointer finger.. Now ive Cut only my pointer and leaving my thumb. Not too long though.
(Thats my right hand obviously)

My lnails on my left hand is all short.
Hope that helps

Heres my 2cents

About probably 6 months ago i used to grow my thumb and also my pointer finger.. Now ive Cut only my pointer and leaving my thumb. Not too long though.
(Thats my right hand obviously)

My lnails on my left hand is all short.
Hope that helps

Grappler - how do you grapple with long nails?

Grappler - how do you grapple with long nails?

I knew u were gna say that mate.
I only grow my thumb! which is only like 1 cm long. maybe less.
when we roll, i keep my thumb tucked in so my opponent doesnt accidently break my nails. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Btw dude. I saw your youtube clip of i think your son or someone.. Brad? wreslting. He's doing well since his only had a few gos. i think that he'lll become a superstar!!

when we roll, i keep my thumb tucked in so my opponent doesnt accidently break my nails. :biglaugh::biglaugh:
LOL, forget about your teammates, protect your thumb! LOL!

Btw dude. I saw your youtube clip of i think your son or someone.. Brad? wreslting. He's doing well since his only had a few gos. i think that he'lll become a superstar!!
Yeah, he's my second son. He wrestled for a year and did Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with me for about a year . Then he decided he just wanted to play basketball. :confused::mad: Kids these days.....

LOL, forget about your teammates, protect your thumb! LOL!

Yeah, he's my second son. He wrestled for a year and did Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with me for about a year . Then he decided he just wanted to play basketball. :confused::mad: Kids these days.....

HAHA thats a classic!!!!! basketball!
Dont worry, i didnt pick up bjj untill a couple of years ago.. Maybe he'll want to do bjj later on.

Just pin him down and force him to watch marcelo garcia roll. LOL jk

:eek:

I think the Jiu Jitsu will help his D

Top Bottom