How long did it take you guitarists to get used to the high G string?

brihead301

Reaction score
As a guitar player of 17 years, I'm picking up the uke very quickly. I learned some chords, and some 'intermediate' songs (no woman no cry, and greensleeves).....but when it comes to just improvising with chords and single notes like I would on the guitar, that G string always messes me up. I'm so used to that string being lower then all the other ones, not higher. I know that's what makes the ukulele unique though.

So how long did it take you guys to get used to it? At least when it comes to improvising on it?

Since I am mostly a strummer it is not a big issue for me. I have started playing more melody and sometimes use my low "G" ukulele.
You can switch to low "G" or better yet by another uke for the low tuning.

I'm a bass player primarily. I never thought of it this way until now, but when I am plucking single notes, I guess I think of the high g string the same way I do the low B on a 5-string bass... I IGNORE it for the most part!

Brihead, It took about 5 months to start to understand the allure of the high G vibe. I'm not a strummer when it comes to the uke, but rather study uke players like Jake and James Hill (although James is a low G player...I just transpose it to high G version of his songs). So what I love to do is strictly instrumental songs. So the beauty (to me) of the uke is the high G chord inversions you can achieve on these instrumental grooves. I do have a uke strung to low G but it reminds me too much of just playing a small guitar. If I wanted that, I'd just play my guitar with a capo. Give this unique tuning a chance, you might find like I did that it's the only way to create those great chord inversions that are not possible with the low G....

I know what you mean, but since it is an octave higher it still works. There are little riffs that I play when I go into "Guitar mode" and suddenly it jumps up an octave - but who cares! Now it sounds like I meant to do that, and in fact I guess I did. :) I have both High G and Low G ukuleles, I find the Low G mellower and nice for accompanying slower, dreamier songs. The high G is just so Hawaiian and has a very happy bright sound, I like them both!

I guess I shouldn't have said I IGNORE it. I strum it of course, and after I got the hang of it a bit, I now fingerpick with it quite a bit. But you have to remember that if you're used to alternating bass notes when finger-picking a guitar, your low note on a uke is on the THIRD string. So I alternate between the two inner strings for the bass notes, and kind of drone the high g and use the A string for melodic stuff (well, also using the C and E strings for that as well). But as far as scales and melodies go, I mainly ignore the g string.

Aloha Brihead 301,
Yup, when you're strumming, you start and end with a high note
since the top and bottom strings are the highest strings. I
think it's neat.....the learning curb is really not so bad!!
Anyways, the ukulele is addictive....Have fun guy!!
"Keep on vibrating them strings... Uke On!! MM Stan...

I'm STILL not used to it after 2 years...haha!

Some nice responses here guys. I definately want to stick with the high-G uke, because I realized that is what makes it unique. Strumming chords on it is awesome!!!

As soon as I got this uke, I immediately became interested in the solo type stuff like that Jake guy plays (I just started looking into ukulele stuff, so forgive me for calling him 'that Jake guy' haha). I like to strum too, but I really think it's cool playing the melody and rhythm chords at the same time!!! I'm still trying to get used to figuring stuff out on that high-G though, but I'm sure Ii'll get it soon enough.

Right now, I'm just learning songs by tab, so it's a no brainer...but when trying to figure the stuff out on my own, that high G throws me off. I have realized that of the songs I've learned so far, most of the melody lines are played on the C, E, and A strings...so possibly I can get by ignoring the G string for a while.

No matter what though, this uke is addicting as hell. I do love it already. I only picked it up because my band covers "soul sister", and I wanted to suprise the crowd by busting out a uke....but now I'm hooked on the awesomeness of this instrument....I had no clue as to how cool this thing would be!

One direction to look at with high g: jazz chordal style...

I think low g is great also BTW...different tunes and for collaborations...

Top Bottom