Execution

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
This was going bad so i executed it. here is the corpse laid out on the workshop stool:

DSCF7569.jpg

I am guessing you don't sell factory seconds. :cool:

Aloha Pete,
It must have been a serious crime here...Jus gotta say, with all that
damage the binding held up really good... a testament to the
quality construction and guidelines you follow. RIP...
Okay, let's check the hands....who's got glue on them????

Last edited:
It was simple one but heinous. The rosette was B/W/B/W/B instaed of W/B/W/B/W. Well, it's either right or it isn't!

Last edited:
I've put a few through the bandsaw as well Pete. Looked at them for a time. Put them aside. Brought them out and had another look, then just bit the bullet and said it wasn't right, and never would be. Nothing left but take them out of circulation.

Kind of cathartic isn't it.:D

Aloha Pete,
Very high standards you set for your self and your ukes.
And believe us, we appriciate it very much!!!
Next time a couple pounds of C-4 would be more appropiate...LOL
BTW- did you have a few after that one????
Mahalo For the Pic's, Until next time .....MM Stan

No matter how hard I looked at it, it weren't right...

Lol--I am very familiar with this feeling. I executed my last build, too. Ol' #4. I'd spent a lot of time on the finish, too, and parts of it looked amazing, but I buffed through the polish on the headstock, and when I strung it up, the top developed a crack that had to have been there before (a flaw of some sort), but I couldn't see it until it was too late. I bounced it off the concrete, and it exploded in several directions at once. Most satisfying, but all that labor. Oy.

Don't know about that! Perhaps not was intended but outer Black against a Brown top? Never forget: for beginners that would be a mistake, for masters it becomes part of their 'style'.
You mean like this one?
hole-kts4.jpg

It's nice to know that there are folks out there that will not go below the bar, not one fraction of an inch :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: And if bouncing this stuff on the driveway and running over it is therapeutic, then so be it - the shrinks will have to look elsewhere for their clientel.

But... folks like me and my guys thrive on mishaps and broken stuff. I'd like to say "we buy junk and sell masterpieces", closer to the truth would probably be "we buy junk and sell improved junk" - but we don't sell our instruments, at least we haven't so far... we use them ourselves or sometimes give them to friends.

Take the 3/4 violin with the split right down the neck, for example. Although we have some nice spruce and some beautiful flamed maple on the shelf I just don't think I would have sat down and drawn up a maple/spruce uke with f-holes. But pulling the broken neck off and then pulling the body apart to set a new neck block... that's easy. Of course there's even more satisfaction in creating instruments from scratch, but creating from scrap is fun. There's a certain likeness to CBUs - you take something that someone was finished with and make a musical instrument out of it.

Anyway, next time, if you can control yourself, just drop me a line - I'm sure we can help you get over the mishap. Of course, I understand that you all have a name to make (or lose) for yourselves, and I don't underestimate that - but we would never reveal our sources.

:cheers: Erich

I hope we're not getting the full story from you Pete. Otherwise, maybe it's time for an adjustment of your medication!
I've never built an uke I couldn't fix. There are lots of opportunities to learn and become creative on an instrument that didn't live up to our expectations. In a worse case scenario it could be given to someone (don't put your label in it). It could make someone's day or even change their life.

Last edited:
Aloha Chuck,
You've got one of those for me..even a factory second I would be drooling from you...
Just let me know me know, I'm intrested now and anytime in the future, seriously!!!!
"Keep strumming them strings" Ukes are for eva....MM Stan....

Now that really would be telling wouldn't it - neck alignment .25mm out was one... anyway I had the cremation this afternoon and it's on my facebook page :) Boy, Nitro makes those suckers ignite and burn real quick!

Top Bottom