Whole Earth Nuclear Uke Orchestra and Adam Miller. WOW.

jehicks87

Reaction score
So, I was cruising youtube and came across the Whole Earth Nuclear Ukulele Orchestra and a gent named Adam Miller.

I was blown away by both.

The WENU is the first Uke Orchestra I have seen that I really, really dug. And Adams's piece "All I Need"... I just can't describe it.

I've seen Jake, I've seen James Hill, I've seen others on this forum. All are great in their own niche's, but I vibed with Adam's instrumental like I haven't since the first time I heard While My Guitar Gently Weeps or Blue Roses Falling. I wonder why I haven't heard of this guy before?

From what I can tell, he's an Aussie. I see that he plays Cole Clark Ukes and I must say the sound those things put out plugged in is incredible!

Anywho, I just thought I'd share my new-found coolness with my buddies here at UU.

Wiederhoeren!

Yeah I checked and I was completely off. The Cole Clarks do sound incredible when plugged in. If you can find the NAMM coverage from Aldrine's archives, he visits with the Cole Clark Co. and they demonstrate their pickup system. Really cool how sensitive it is.

I dig. Maybe I'll get one one day... I'm already adding two ukes within a month, and am commissioning a custom as well... it took a few years, but UAS has finally bitten me... hard.

But, hey, what else am I gonna spend my money on over here? :D

I really love Whole Earth Nuclear Ukulele Orchestra - "When I Paint My Masterpiece" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53RjVpts0Qs and
"Russian Lullaby" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hne-2y9Hncw
David & Thom are from Missouri - I met them at the Ukulele World Congress at Needmore in June. Great guys, wonderful music. They both play Boatpaddle ukes. Recently they have formed the group Flea Bitten Dawgs, here they play "Simple Twist of Fate" down by the creek at the UWC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFOdnNiKixY Thanks for the signpost to Adam miller - an Aussie like me! ... great music :)

They are simply ON!!! And yes the first ukes I saw them playing: Boat Paddles.

I managed to get a couple of videos of those wonderful Dawgs playing on the second night at UWC - "Louise" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnnPZzd1NNM and ...
Pancho and Lefty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLV9MctNZ2k/watch?v=yLV9MctNZ2k
David sings those songs like an angel, and Thom plays his soul on the uke. I was the lucky one that had them backing me up on my first open mic - there at UWC 2010.
Fingers crossed there'll be more Flea Bitten inspiration at the next UWC which, if I'm not mistaken, is 327 days from today, ie. toooooooooooooooooo long :(

David and Thom have been featured on the Boat Paddle website for sometime now. They provide a sound file for the original kayak model with their rendition of "Russian Lullaby." Just click on listen. www.boatpaddleukuleles.com

David and Thom have been featured on the Boat Paddle website for sometime now. They provide a sound file for the original kayak model with their rendition of "Russian Lullaby." Just click on listen. www.boatpaddleukuleles.com

Yes indeed!!! A rendition that challenges the whole "sounds like a big banjo" tonal preference thing or a mini-classical guitar!!! May sound slightly "muddy" to the ears of those who regard towards and on the brightside as mandatory uke tone.

Offensive meditation: has the uke movement been hijacked by men over 40 who need an auditory eval for hearing losses at lower frequencies and possible cerumen (earwax) extraction by an ENT? Health tip/reminder: Q tips actually push earwax DOWN. After the ENT, opt for hydrogen peroxide per MD orders...I myself am over 40 and have benefitted from such a visit to an ENT, LOL...

Thanks jehicks for starting this thread which has more importance IMO than you may or may not realize...

Last edited:
Yes indeedy they have been, and I have seen them since starting this thread on youtube under the "flea bitten dawgs." That man's voice is angelic. And their instruments are very nice. I like to see the tonal differences between Ukuleles and Ukulele builders, and am a Boat Paddle fan, but I have recently (through my last two acquisitions) come to acknowledge that I prefer the brighter sound. Not plinky, but bright. I got a Honu Tenor not too long ago, but I didn't fall in love with the sound. I just recently got a cedar/myrtlewood concert and could NOT be happier with the tone.

As they say, you live and you learn. But, appreciate the differences! They are what make the world such a cool place to live in.

Love to y'all... and come hell or high water I WILL be at the next UWC! haha

Jake

Yeah, I can't believe how I mistook them for anything else. Seeing these vids since then is really inspiring. And the BPs sound terrific.

If I remember correctly what they said at UWC2010, both of the BPs they play are baritones, for what it's worth.

In the vid featuring "Russian Lullaby" they're playing tenors.

In the vid featuring "Russian Lullaby" they're playing tenors.

The bearded gentleman (I'm not sure which is which) told me at UWC that he plays baritone uke specifically because he's a guitar player and doesn't want to relearn chords. The uke he played there was a different BP that I think is the M style, although I'm not sure. The body shape is different than those in these videos, quite round, and it was most definitely a baritone.

In the "Russian Lullabye" vid they are playing tenors according to the Boat Paddle website (tenors 2 and 3).

It must have been great to meet those guys.

Top Bottom