There has got to be some Hawaiian speakers here...

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am looking for the correct phonics of "ii" in the Hawaiian language. The word I am looking for the pronouncement of is specifically "Liilii"

I think this is going to be the name of my new Uke. I will see once it gets here.

Aloha Tudorp,
I am not proficient in the hawaiian language and might be wrong..
Correct me guys if I am wrong...Li'iLi'i pronounced I think- Lee ee, Lee ee
ussually the I's phonetically sounds like E"s
I hope this helps you out...Keep vibrating them strings" Ukeleles are for eva.....
MM Stan

Last edited:
That is kinda what I was thinking, just refering from the name "Hawaii" itself. But just want to be sure. Nothing more irritating to a native anything than someone using their dilect and using it incorrectly. But, I also know in some language, a letter may have a different phonetic if doubled up like in the case of the double "i" (ii). Just want to be sure.. "Liilii" translates to "small", and I think it might fit the new Spranino. Thanks..

Last edited:
Yes,

"Ali'i" is the Hawaiian word for 'king' and it is pronounced (phonetically) Ahh-LEE-e.

NOTE: the apostrophe between -LEE-e indicates a unique Hawaiian Language consonant ('hokina)
which is 'pronounced' as a gluttoral stop as in "oh-oh".

That being said, take the "li'i" from Ali'i, duplicate it and you get li'ili'i (as in LEE-e LEE-e) with emphasis
on the first syllables of each li'i.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Keep uke'in',

So, that said, it should be written like "Li'ili'i" then? Also that said, I think maybe calling the new Uke "Li'ili'i Ali'i" meaning "Little King" ? Hmmm...

does anyone else have a key on their keyboard with an actual `okina on it?

` ` ` ` ` instead of ' ' ' ' '

I always thought "small" was "manini" or "iki"

And I don't really know if "li`ili`i Ali`i" would be the right translation, haha. But maybe..

Aloha Tudorp,
I think li'ili'i you spelled it right means small or little--sounds like a nice rhyming name
As for my pronucation, Lee' ee Uncle Rod is right lee'e ..I just was going for the sound phoneticly but lee'e is right.
I hope you have fun with your new arrival, and If I may a pic of the ukulele comparison next to your hands.....
Aloha, until next time Keep strumming them strings ...Ukulele's are for eva... MM Stan..
BTW- Aloha Miso Happy Actually manini means small reef fish with stripes or stingy Actually Li'i li'i and ali"i compare
to correlation phoneticly... Hope this helps you out..

Last edited:
I will take some compare shots of it, with my hand, as well as next to my SK-35. It looks very similar to my SK-35, except the headstock is different, but both are solid mahogany. The 35 has black binding though, and the 21 has white bindings. But, I think they look very similar, and will take a good picture next to each other to see how much smaller it is to the soprano of the same manufacture.

does anyone else have a key on their keyboard with an actual `okina on it?

` ` ` ` ` instead of ' ' ' ' '

I always thought "small" was "manini" or "iki"

And I don't really know if "li`ili`i Ali`i" would be the right translation, haha. But maybe..

yup! it should be on everyone's keyboard no? it's at the top left next to the button !/1 above the tab button, and has ~/`

Hmm.. Never knew what that was... lol... "Li`ili`i" then.. So that is the correct one?

Yup you're right "iki" also means little or small too....
Good going girl...."Keep um strumming them stings" uke ON
MM Stan....
BTW- It's Li'ili'i spelled correctly

Last edited:
Incorrect usage fo dat word. Mo betta name 'em "Kamalani" (child of a chief). Das how it is brah! Aloha!

The thing about the Hawaiian language is how a word is used. There can be a hidden meaning where it may appear to mean the obvious but actually something entirely different. I don't speak Hawaiian, just know certain words and phrases. Just maybe if 1014 or Ahnko Honu stubles across this thread, should be able to clarify.

NOTE: the apostrophe between -LEE-e indicates a unique Hawaiian Language consonant ('hokina)
which is 'pronounced' as a gluttoral stop as in "oh-oh".

Interestingly I've seen and heard that same unique consonant used in at least Samoan... and maybe Tongan... and that's not even in the same branch of Polynesian languages as Hawaiian :)

I think the references I had seen it were Samoan..

Thanks for making this thread!

I've been wanting to ask...

Is there a word for, like, REALLY far away? Or "As far away as possible"?

Aloha Tudorp,
I think li'ili'i you spelled it right means small or little--sounds like a nice rhyming name
As for my pronucation, Lee' ee Uncle Rod is right lee'e ..I just was going for the sound phoneticly but lee'e is right.
I hope you have fun with your new arrival, and If I may a pic of the ukulele comparison next to your hands.....
Aloha, until next time Keep strumming them strings ...Ukulele's are for eva... MM Stan..
BTW- Aloha Miso Happy Actually manini means small reef fish with stripes or stingy Actually Li'i li'i and ali"i compare
to correlation phoneticly... Hope this helps you out..

I know it's a fish xD (I'm from Hawaii too) but I always thought it was called that because it was small. It's also pidgin for "small", ahaha

I learned Hawaiian way back in the 1970s from my kumu 'olelo Hawai'i Robert Lokomaika'iokalani Snakenberg. Many of my kupuna back then didn't speak Hawaiian so much was lost, and I am very rusty. I was taught the 'okina is ' not ` as 'okina means to cut the ' cutting the word with a gluttoral stop. Many online Hawaiian dictionaries will recognize the ' symbol but not the ` symbol when spelling out Hawaiian words. You will never have a 'okina next to any consonant as the 'okina itself is a consonant, and in Hawaiian you never have 2 consonants next to each other. As far as the words li'i and 'iki they both share the same root word from ancient western Polynesian word for small "riki" or "riti" replace the k (t) with an 'okina and you get ri'i or li'i, replace the r with a 'okina and you get 'iki (in Tahitian 'iti). I would say in the context you use 'iki is more common and accepted. The word li'i or li'ili'i is not as commonly used but acceptable. Again I am rusty and I hope a young blood like 1019 chimes in with his fresh input. Manini is a slang which originated with the local small fish the Convict Tang, and refers to something small or of little importance. It can also refer to a person who is a "tight-wad". Look on the head of a Tangi Manini 'ukulele and there you have a manini fish inlay. I highly recommend this sight for research into Hawaiian language: http://wehewehe.org/ I hope that didn't cause any confusion.

Top Bottom