PDA

View Full Version : Anybody anywhere in the state of NY?

adellethegreat
06-03-2008, 08:31 AM
I say I'm in NY & people automatically assume NYC.... but alas, I live about 20 minutes west the middle of nowhere. Naw... I'm pretty centrally located in NY- close to Rochester, Syracuse & Buffalo. Anybody else out here? Anyone in NY state at all? If there's enough of us- maybe we could have a NY State Ukulele Players get together?

deach
06-03-2008, 09:51 AM
My brother used to live in Rochester. Can you say "Garbage Plate"?

I just checked the UU map and the closest people (that posted on the map) near you are in Toronto.

menehunenyc
06-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Pay no attention to the man behind that tatoo...I live in Brooklyn NYC, quite a ways from rochester. But, if you are ever in town, we should definitely meet up to play!!

deach
06-05-2008, 12:43 AM
mmmmmm Garbage Plate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_plate)

Nelson
06-13-2008, 11:02 AM
I live in North Jersey.
Wayne, New jersey...
So I'm kinda close to ya!

1uke
06-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Hey Adelle,

I live in Mississauga Ontario Canada, but I have a cottage in Ellicottville, NY. It's a little ski town near Olean and Salamanca.

adellethegreat
06-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey Adelle,

I live in Mississauga Ontario Canada, but I have a cottage in Ellicottville, NY. It's a little ski town near Olean and Salamanca.

Awesome! How far are you from Toronto? That's only about 3 hours away from me, anyway... and Ellicottville is closer. I've never been there but I have friends that go down there to ski. :)

1uke
06-13-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm like a half an hour away from Toronto. I technically live in the Greater Toronto Area. It's all about the skiing in Eville:)

Hobgoblin Steve
11-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Pay no attention to the man behind that tatoo...I live in Brooklyn NYC, quite a ways from rochester. But, if you are ever in town, we should definitely meet up to play!!

Brooklyn FTW, where abouts? Im in Bay Ridge

menehunenyc
11-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Are you kidding? A fellow Brooklynite UUer finally speaks out!! I'm in Windsor Terrace, one block south of Park Slope on 8th Ave. We definitely /
have to get together. I'm off work every Tues. and Wednesday... whatayasay:nana:

RON<>VA
11-25-2008, 05:45 PM
mmmmmm Garbage Plate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_plate)

Man deach, never heard of the "Garbage Plate." That has to be one of the wildest concoctions of food on one plate I have ever heard of!!

Hobgoblin Steve
11-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Are you kidding? A fellow Brooklynite UUer finally speaks out!! I'm in Windsor Terrace, one block south of Park Slope on 8th Ave. We definitely /
have to get together. I'm off work every Tues. and Wednesday... whatayasay:nana:

yeah well, I basically just got here :P
sent you a pm about my upcoming schedule

benmealer
11-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Just moved from BKLYN, I'm in Sunnyside, Queens now. Snowboarding season's about here. Hopefully I'll be able to get upstate at least a few times this winter.

psesinkclee
12-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I live in North Jersey.
Wayne, New jersey...
So I'm kinda close to ya!

Nice man, I'm in Wyckoff, but I go to school 5 minutes outside of Albany NY.

akinoguy
12-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Just found this website.
I am in Buffalo...
Looks like there is about one ukulele player every 50 miles or so up here.

haole
12-09-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm in central Nassau, not too far from the city.

haolejohn
12-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Hey Guys, I'm coming up to NYC just before Christmas and staying until new years. I'm interested in jamming and eating some brooklyn pizza that only locals know about.

Cherrybomb
12-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Flushing, Queens here :D

mailman
03-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Any luck finding upstate uke players? I'm just outside of Rochester, and have found no other uke players thus far. I'm just starting, and could use some input from fellow ukers!

If only there were an "Upstate Ukes Club".....

Aloha Matty
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Brooklyn here too! Just getting into the 'uke...making some headway....Marine Park here...

Matty

http://www.myspace.com/breezygrass

Steiner
08-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Just outside albany

liagiba
08-20-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm from Westchester, New York which is really far from Rochester, Syracuse and Buffalo.

ritzer012
08-20-2009, 11:11 AM
im in westchester too!

liagiba
08-20-2009, 11:40 AM
im in westchester too!

Really? That's awesome! There aren't a lot of people who play ukulele here.

cashew
08-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Staten Island here, With car. and semi-frequent excursions to Oneonta/Walton.

Doctroid
09-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Found this thread on a search for "Syracuse" which is where I live (near).

Doctroid
09-05-2009, 07:39 PM
I figured there might as well be a group here for upstate New York uke players, so I created one -- it's called "Upstate New Yuke".

(And I hope no one wants to argue over the terminology -- I'm using "upstate" here to mean all but NYC area and LI. I don't know a better term for it, even though I know some people use "upstate" more restrictively.)

Spooner
09-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Just moved from BKLYN, I'm in Sunnyside, Queens now. Snowboarding season's about here. Hopefully I'll be able to get upstate at least a few times this winter.

So am I. ;):shaka:

pingraham
09-06-2009, 10:19 AM
I figured there might as well be a group here for upstate New York uke players, so I created one -- it's called "Upstate New Yuke".

(And I hope no one wants to argue over the terminology -- I'm using "upstate" here to mean all but NYC area and LI. I don't know a better term for it, even though I know some people use "upstate" more restrictively.)

When I was working on the Interchange 8 Project on the Thruway, the folks from the Bronx said upstate started at the Yonkers Toll Plaza.....the start of the wilderness (!!)......As a New Englander, I have always felt that the upstate line was above I-84 or at least well above Harriman.....

Brewerpaul
09-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Clifton Park NY here, about 30 min from Albany. I have family in Westchester too (Mt. Kisco) so if there was ever a uke gathering there I'd try to make it.

Funny... people from "The City" think anything north of Yonkers is Upstate, but where I live now, anything south of Poughkeepsie is "The City". We're all awfully provincial.

Brewerpaul
09-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Just outside albanyWhere are you, Steiner?

Ever go to the Fiddler's Tour?

http://www.fiddlerstour.com/ft_home.html

Great bunch of people, playing acoustic instruments of all kinds, not just fiddles. I've definitely seen ukes there. They're very newbie friendly. The Tour plays every Tuesday, playing at a different venue each month. This month (Sept) is Carney's in Ballston Lake. Check it out.

The Cheese
09-08-2009, 12:04 PM
SUNY Plattsburgh, here. Wayyyy upstate. Originally from Catskill, NY.

psesinkclee
09-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Back at school now, so I'm just 2 minutes outside of Albany center at Siena College.

That Fiddler's Tour looks nice, maybe we could get a crew to go the same day :)

Steiner
09-15-2009, 01:30 AM
Where are you, Steiner?

Ever go to the Fiddler's Tour?

http://www.fiddlerstour.com/ft_home.html

Great bunch of people, playing acoustic instruments of all kinds, not just fiddles. I've definitely seen ukes there. They're very newbie friendly. The Tour plays every Tuesday, playing at a different venue each month. This month (Sept) is Carney's in Ballston Lake. Check it out.

I'm in Glenmont.

If you guys go to that fiddler's tour let me know. If I have free time I'll try to make it.

adellethegreat
12-15-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread because much to my delight our little group here on UU Upstate New Yuke (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=68) has figured out we have at least 3 people close enough to get together... and I want more!!

Myself & two others are close enough to Rochester to make that a meet up point. Anyone else?!

brUKEman
12-27-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm from Orange County, NY exit 16 on the Thruway. Looking for local people to get together with...

ksiegel
12-25-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm in Schenectady, and know that there is at least one other in Schenectady County. there is a Uke get together on the 2nd Monday of each month at the Moon & River Cafe in Schenectady, lead by Ron Gordon. Check it out, if you're within driving distance.

-Kurt