Cheap Uke Tip

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
I tried those Gypse rose ukes in a store.
Not particularly great instruments, though it could have been the tacky pink strings.
They're PINK, but you might as well have strung your uke with chopped up plastic.

I guess its the uke Barbie would use

I bought a $20 uke once. I plucked it a few times then put it away, forever, lol.

easy to restring. the real question is around intonation. ironically the lion red ukueles they were giving away at pubs here last year had really good intonation (well mine did:))

I've seen these only once before. On ebay and from a seller in Belgium for much more money. And even at that price I was considering because I was so amused by the pink strings and the star shaped tuning buttons. They also had a name on them other than "SX" and that was Mahalo.
I might do this. But I still have the same question in my mind I had when I saw these online before: which color do I want?

easy to restring. the real question is around intonation. ironically the lion red ukueles they were giving away at pubs here last year had really good intonation (well mine did:))

The sad thing is, when I was a kid coming from Horowhenua and rocking it with my uncles on the North Shore, Lion Red was the flavour of the day, and when you're a young fulla your first beer or two is a big deal. You wouldn't touch Lion Red with a ten foot barge pole these days, even if you were a leper! Those ukes still show up regularly on trademe too :D

(as an aside, came back to Levin where Dad occasionally let me refine the taste further on DB Draught... high living! Look at me now, Monteiths Black and top shelf whiskey on a school night :D )

That purple one is pretty cool. Is that a sheet of stickers?

Ahhh they ain't that bad after a setup.

It depends, maybe. I mean, I have a $20 mahogany laminate soprano that has absolutely awful intonation (and the frets are uneven and everything). I tried using two different kinds of strings and it still didn't sound any better. I could try more refined setting up, but since I got it as a gift, I don't think it's worth all the effort (and bread) to make it somewhat decent. (I've decided to just paint an awesome design on it and use it for decorative purposes or something :p)

The sad thing is, when I was a kid coming from Horowhenua and rocking it with my uncles on the North Shore, Lion Red was the flavour of the day, and when you're a young fulla your first beer or two is a big deal. You wouldn't touch Lion Red with a ten foot barge pole these days, even if you were a leper! Those ukes still show up regularly on trademe too :D

(as an aside, came back to Levin where Dad occasionally let me refine the taste further on DB Draught... high living! Look at me now, Monteiths Black and top shelf whiskey on a school night :D )

Bro I have already converted a lion red uke of trademe was quite playable with not alot of effort.

Thought you would be a big Lion Brown man being from wellington and all.

Cliff

It depends, maybe. I mean, I have a $20 mahogany laminate soprano that has absolutely awful intonation (and the frets are uneven and everything). I tried using two different kinds of strings and it still didn't sound any better. I could try more refined setting up, but since I got it as a gift, I don't think it's worth all the effort (and bread) to make it somewhat decent. (I've decided to just paint an awesome design on it and use it for decorative purposes or something :p)

Could just do a fret level and polish, it is not that hard. Also try out some different angles on the saddle and nut. If all that fails, you can then turn to taking a bit off the fretboard or shimming the nut back... depending on if you are running sharp or flat. Of course to bother with these things on a cheap uke, you gotta' just enjoy tinkering or it is not worth the effort.

the SX Fender bass knock-offs enjoy a huge cult following among the Talkbass crowd. Maybe the ukes have decent QC or can be worked with. The price is kind of scary though. In the spirit of the Makala Dolphin, looks like they don't make them for guys either(or at least want to exclude many of us LOL).

Aah, just put on some man item stickers. You know, NASCAR stuff or beer cans or golf balls or girly pinups.

Top Bottom