passive pickup for myself...

jongm

Reaction score
and not for an audience... at least not yet.

hi all :D

i am having a new uke with a 'low impedence/high output' Artec PG407M under the saddle pickup made, which i'll get my eager hands on probably end of june or early july. i looked up some threads on pickups, preamps and amps in the forum. i also read through the sticky thread on amplification basics for uke. i still have a question though:

i just want to really quietly play my uke and hear myself play it with a headphone. can i just plug in a headphone? do i need a preamp? without a preamp, will a headphone amplifier such as this one suffice?

many thanks in advance for your help!

Aloha JongM,
You could always those small battery powered ones when you practice
with headphones. I hope this helps you out. Keep stumming them strings.
Ukulele's are forever..MM Stan..

My passive pickups do not drive headphones.
You can use a pre-amp, small battery amp or any amp and headphones.
Your ukulele can be played acoustically for your quiet moments.
I use headphones and amp for my solid body electric guitar if I need to play and not bother anyone.
I do like my portable Baggs pre-amp with headphones and I can use it when gigging as well.

Can't find details of your pickup. If it's passive, you'll near a preamp to hear it in headphones. Interesting options include the guitar jack boxes from Vox and VTech. You can sometimes find these for as low as $30.

I guess my confusion is that with or without headphones, your ukulele will still make sound. So, if you want to play quietly, just play quietly.

thanks for all the replies!

it is a backpacker uke and it'll be with me when i travel. in addition to hearing myself play really quiet, i am also thinking of using plugged-in headphones in situations with lots of noise like during flights.

please correct me if i didn't get it right: i can plug in an amplifier like vox amplug acoustic to hear myself play with headphones in quiet moments or during flights?

alrayt! thanks again...i am learning a lot from uu's forum.

Last edited:
Yes. The acoustic Amplug RevWill shows above should give you what you need.

Top Bottom