Mahalo Painted Ukes

lambchop

Reaction score
I have a pink mahalo that I use as a little take-along ukulele and although it has to be frequently retuned, I find it to be a really nice ukulele in terms of playability and sound. Anyone else have good results with the Mahalo? For $30, they can't be beat as a first or extra instrument. Mike

They sound decent with Aqula strings.

I find the painted models (U30) to have uncomfortably high action.
Even after sanding the saddle down, it is still high - the bridge itself is high (poor design).

Intonation is highly variable from uke to uke (poor quality control).

There are better painted cheap ukes if you know where to look.
Like the Makala Dolphins. If you're in Australia, the Legacy painted ukes are much better than the Mahalos.
All cost around the same.

sadly I had one, and one bought for kids - both pretty shoddy. You get what you pay for and Aquilas certainly help - but then I discovered Makala Dolphins - similar price, and blow the Mahalos out of the water

Just my two cents!

I used to have a Mahalo, (I've since given it to a friend to start uke-ing on) I didn't really like it much at all. I found the action really nasty, and mine buzzed quite a bit, but that could have been that I had just started playing. It was much better with Aquilas, but I still wouldn't recommend Mahalos. The price is good, but you're probably better off with a Dolphin.

I admit I spent an hour at Elderly Instruments a few weeks ago finding a good Mahalo for my friend. But, with careful picking thru the stock, you can find some nice ones. I'll have to look into the other brands mentioned in this thread, though, as they seem to be more consistent. I rarely play mine, but I have friends who ask for recommendations on cheap ones and I had been saying Mahalo, but maybe I need to think otherwise. Mike

You can drop it, bang on it, leave it in the car, put stickers on it, leave it on the porch, take it to the beach and it's easy to play with Aquila strings.

Top Bottom