New Taylor ... (swoon)

bazmaz

Reaction score
Had to shout about this to somebody, and you guys are friendliest forumites in the world!

After much umming and ahhhing, just pulled trigger on a Taylor 210e dreadnought.

Admittedly, not a top class Taylor, but top of my budget and supposedly is a fine fine instrument.

Arrives tomorrow. Excited is an understatement!

cheers - as nice as it would be to blow £1500 on a Taylor, I cant - but the spec on the one arriving and the reviews I read show that it is a great guitar on its way.

Cant wait

Aloha Paul,
Congrats , I know you'll get many years of enjoyment out of it.
Please share your view on it, we,d appriciate...
Whether it's 4 or 6 strings "Keep on stumming them strings" MM Stan...

I really like the 210e, myself. I have a buddy with a 314 and he loves it. When I was considering the 210 and 214 I wound up getting a great deal on a Masterbilt. I have since sold it, though, and grabbed a Parkwood PW320-M and I love it. Like the Taylor, it is a Grand Auditorium-bodied git. Your Taylor has laminated back and sides and a solid spruce top, which gives it more stability and durability. To me, that is a benefit, not a put-off. My Parkwood is solid wood and reacts to atmospheric changes even more than my Martin dreadnaught.

I hope you enjoy your Taylor for years to come.

Well it arrived, and slight cock up. Was supposed to come with hard case, but only came with gig bag. Long story, and much confusion, but shop have admitted they are wrong, and case coming next week....

Anyway - will post thoughts when I get to play it this weekend - it really is a beauty though. Also, quite pleased, as it was last of their stock, so its a slightly older model (2007) and the last to be made in the USA. from end 2007, the 200 series started moving production to Mexico.

The laminate doesnt bother me a bit - there is a lot of guff written about laminated wood on backs and sides, and I really dont buy that a full solid makes "that much" difference to tone (some, but not that much). I would also much much prefer a quality guitar that is well made with some laminate, than a dodgier guitar that is all solid and made badly. Some boutique luthiers use laminate perfectly well.

Top is of course solid -that does make a difference!

The 200 series that I've played definitely had that balanced, focused Taylor tone with a gorgeous shimmer and sparkle to the highs. I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer that Taylor sparkle to the bass-y Martin low end.

Bob Taylor has been making all-laminate prototypes for years and has documented that players and critics alike cannot believe they're laminate. Craftsmanship trumps materials in terms of overall quality and tone. When talking materials, the solid top makes far more difference than back and sides. I doubt that the sonic difference (if any) when using laminate back and sides is even discernible.

In terms of acoustics, I've had a 15 year monogamous relationship with my Taylor 510 and she sounds sweeter today than she ever has. May your 210 give you such joy.

Just had first strums - delightful sound, and BOY WHAT A VOLUME!!

I've been playing a Simon & Patrick cedar topped Dread for ages, and I thought that was loud. What it actually was (I now see) was a little too boomy and muddy in the bottom end.

The Taylor just sparkles. Ignore those who say the 210 is too high and no base, I've just cranked out Folsom Prison Blues on it, and the bass is just fine!

well, first impressions of the taylor have made me feel a bit of a dolt...

you see, have been an amateur for years. About 7 yrs ago, bought a Simon & Patrick which I thought was wonderful, and been gigging it ever since.

Now I have this Taylor. It needs some tweaking, sure, but....... just a 30 min play and I am hearing notes in chords I have never heard before - every string rings like it is fighting for space. Dont know what to say, thought I had a nice guitar, but quite frankly, compared to this it is muddy and confused.

Oh dear, think I caught Taylor acquisition syndrome - very expensive!

Don't those treble notes just glisten and ring? Taylor's bass notes are never boomy, always balanced and focused. Wonderful guitars!

Congratulations,

I bought a Taylor 420 about 17 years ago. There is nothing fancy about it, has great sound and is not falling apart. Buying a Taylor is something you probably will never regret. The Ford Pinto - that is another story.

well, first impressions of the taylor have made me feel a bit of a dolt...

you see, have been an amateur for years. About 7 yrs ago, bought a Simon & Patrick which I thought was wonderful, and been gigging it ever since.

Now I have this Taylor. It needs some tweaking, sure, but....... just a 30 min play and I am hearing notes in chords I have never heard before - every string rings like it is fighting for space. Dont know what to say, thought I had a nice guitar, but quite frankly, compared to this it is muddy and confused.

Oh dear, think I caught Taylor acquisition syndrome - very expensive!

Paul, I am glad you like it. I prefer the Taylor sound over the Martin sound in dreadnaughts. The Martin "000" and other auditorium and concert-bodied lines are closer to the balance of that Taylor. One of these days I will pop for a high-end Taylor.

Those LaSiDo / Godin guitars (Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie) all fall in the "quite nice but not extraordinary" range. My son's Art & Lutherie is a quite nice dreadnought built for excellent playability and respectable tone. I've never played another $250 acoustic that came close. But you've stepped into the realm of excellence with a Taylor. When I bought my 510 I also played a Taylor in the 800 series which had fancier inlays and a heftier price tag, but the tone was very much the same. There are higher end instruments that are simply exceptional, but Taylor does equal excellence.

There are days I hit that first chord and fall in love all over again, like I had forgotten just how nice my guitar really is. I expect you'll have the same experience with yours.

Played it all day yesterday. The action is like butter, and the sound is astonishing. I love it!

Top Bottom