Ukuleles are awesome because...

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
Well, you fill in the blank! Prob been done already but just thought it'd be a bit of fun!? Lets see what we can here...

Because they make people smile.

...they fit in your back pocket, and give you magical powers.

Because my Fluke can be used as a weapon in case of zombie attack.

...because the string to finger ratio is equal! :shaka:

~Michael

...because children (of all ages!) are not intimidated by them

Because for an initial investment of $50 and twenty minutes, you can be creating music.

(and because they come in fun colors and some even have SPARKLIES! What? I'm terrifyingly shallow and I adore my black Makala Dolphin.)

...because the string to finger ratio is equal! :shaka:

~Michael

I love this reason - never thought of it before, but that may very well be it! The mathematics of ukulele!

This is actually my favorite topic, as I am trying to figure this out myself. OK, from the perspective of a working cultural historian, another big reason is that it has become a much more respected instrument over the past few years. It is being used in major commerical jingles, Hey Soul Sister features it, Jake Shimabukuro's five million-plus YouTube hits, Iz's classic and it's apperance as a selection in American Idol a year or so ago (I'm embarassed I can't think of the performers name). Face it, ukulele is hot! It's like the teens and twenties all over again. Hey, maybe it's a repeating cycle every hundred years? At bottom, though, it is just a really great instrument - I play so much better on ukulele than I do on anything else.

I see the beginnings of a very cool academic paper here!

Mike

The uke makes all people smile.....and what is wrong with that?? In today's times, people need something to make them smile!!

As a guitar player of 18 years, I can say that I really like the ukulele for it's uniqueness and ability to bring smiles to people's faces. I was never before a 'bring my guitar to the party' kinda guy. First off, the guitar is big and oafey to lug around....not to mention, that I feel like I'm kinda put on the spot and all eyes are on my if I bust out my guitar. Although I play in a band, I still don't like all the attention on me when I have my guitar out...I start to feel nervous. Plus, playing guitar is common. That's not saying I don't LOVE everything about guitar, I certainly do....

But this ukulele....It's this cool little, tiny, sweet sounding instrument, that just has a 'happy sound' to it. It's pretty easy to play a bunch of songs that involve melody and chords all in one tune.....plus, it's a rare thing to see someone break out a uke (I personally have never once seen it in my entire 28 years of existence!).

I just start breaking out the Bob Marley tunes, and everything in life is good for everyone!

The last century was ruled -- actually dominated -- by the guitar. If I had shown up to a high school party with my uke, it would have been death to any aspirations to coolness I might have ever had. Don't get me wrong, the guitar is an amazing instrument, but here's my prediction: the 21st century will belong to the uke!

(and because they come in fun colors and some even have SPARKLIES! What? I'm terrifyingly shallow and I adore my black Makala Dolphin.)

I'm eyeing the purple sparkle right now. :D

Ukuleles are like the girl who is fun, and electric, and who you love to be around, but who you later discover is actually deep, intelligent, and wise.

Ukuleles are like magnets to iron-fisted humans.

Ukuleles are fairy dust shaped into pineapples and figure-8s.

Ukuleles are the cheery death rattle of happy trees.

Top Bottom