Autographs on ukes?

Ame

Reaction score
So, I got my uke signed and plan to get more sigs in august haha I was wondering, how can I "preserve" them (is that the right word?)? I basically don't want them to fade away from rubbing against things, exposure to light, etc.. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Thanks is advance! :)

That's a tough one, Ame. Varnishes and shellacs tend to deaden the resonance of stringed acoustic instruments. Just clean your uke with a dust cloth and no polishes/detergents. Have artists sign it in places that won't be affected by your strumming. I know many who have their ukes autographed, but I don't know how they preserve the signatures. Ric

Oh I dont mind something that might affect it's sound a little since it's not my primary uke anymore. And I already got my uke signed all over the back, so that idea is out the window for that uke haha Thanks though! :)

preserving autographs on an instrument can be really tricky business. if you look around at some places on the web, some might suggest putting on a thin, clear lacquer coating over the signature. one drawback to this, however, is that a lacquer that doesn't adhere or bind properly might be subjected to cracking and peeling over time.

i've seen a buddy use a clear coated matte finish though. it started with him spraying a clear coat matte finish over the autographed area so that it doesn't smudge the signature on the first time around. after that he did it again a second time (still spraying over) and a third time (a bit more direct to the autograph) to ensure a good coat and stick.

to break it down to a technical level and the appropriate amounts to use, i wouldn't be able to give it to you. i'm no luthier and i'm definitely not a painter. haha sorry ame, hope that helps

clear nail polish haha. If there is no Gloss on ur uke then that autograph should be ok, i have a jake siggy on my jus plain wood uke and its still on there after intense strumming on it.

My son had one of our KoAloha Concerts that was originally built for Raiatea Helm signed by Raiatea, and later by Nina Kealiiwahamana, both with magic markers. After a few months, I sprayed a few coats of McFadden's Nitro, paying particular attention to doing a tack coat first, then followed by the basic 3 coats over 3 hours. Of course I had to sand and buff it out. No problem.

KoAloha uses a catalyzed varnish finish, and the lacquer did not react with it - this would be your main concern with using lacquer: compatibility. This is why its always said to test on scrap. Normally, if lacquer is not compatible, you'll know right away, or at least the next day because it will eat through your current finish. If it cracks after time, then its really crappy lacquer, or its sprayed on too thick.

I'll have to disagree with ricdoug on the shellac issue - this would be one of the thinnest, some argue best (if French Polished) traditional finishes on an instrument. As I understand, its still the way Dave Means does it, and he's very good at it.

That being said, shellac will go over (or under) most anything. The only problem would be longevity, as it is a soft finish and requires white glove care if you want it to last.

-Aaron

I'll have to disagree with ricdoug on the shellac issue - this would be one of the thinnest, some argue best (if French Polished) traditional finishes on an instrument.

How much shellac should be added to a finish? It's easy to overdo, when "clearcoating" an instrument. It may not even stick to the current finish. I agree that french polished shellac finishes are mighty thin, but my concern in Ame's situation is polishing or melting off the signatures. Now that Ame's stated that it's not a primary uke and sound is not an issue, I'm wondering if an acrylic might provide more durable protection. Might be something to practice on a http://www.grizzly.com/products/Ukulele-Kit/H3125 . I agree with you on testing on some scrap, as a damaged signature is not repairable. Ric

Thanks everyone! a lot of suggestions are over my head haha but Phillip's idea seems something I could do. xP Screen protectors, eh? I'm gonna need a lot of them haha I have 5 sigs that I need to cover and getting possily 5 more. haha xP

I've got two signatures on my cigar box ukulele. We just got a new digital camera, and once I figure it out, I'll post a photo. The two are my teacher, Howard Heitmeyer, and the other is Laurence Juber. Juber is a famous fingerstyle guitar player.

Last edited:
I wonder how the gloss finish on Lois (the kala aqua tenor laminate) will do for being autograph-friendly. That pickguard protector seems like a good plan.

Heres my custom Kala tenor sprcetop with Solid cocobolo sides and back and of course Signatures....

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

Okay that didnt work How do you get the link on??? hmmm better go eat some mango sorbet and ponder...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks you all... now I got it.... HTML I still think of as a bus line in Hawaii LOL

Woah, you have a ton of sigs! O_O How do YOU keep them on there?

These are the sigs i'm trying to protect:
l_2a51e0225170de4321c1074dd50ac3d5.jpg
(Don't pay attention to the other stuff haha This was a picture I took for my myspace to show some recent happenings, which just shows the sigs on my uke prior to it fading away...)
and the one in the middle is starting to fade already.. >.>;;
2558958006_7e12971cb4.jpg

So there's no gloss on my uke, what would be the best way to do it then? o_O;; My friend suggested this spray thing, which I didn't entirely understand, but I think someone mentioned it here too haha Though I still don't know what it is..

Last edited:
Top Bottom