Am I in tune?

Em17sK

Reaction score
hey everyone, I just got a ukulele two days ago and have been learning some chords. I bought a Korg CA-1 tuner today, and had no problems with g, E, and A, but C seemed to be more difficult (the tuner seemed more hesitant, and a few times alternated between reading C and F) and still sounds a bit wonky to me. I recorded a video of me playing chords C, F, and G7 . . . does my ukulele sound in tune? here's the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNOK0ss4xiY

thanks for any help!

Ack! No, you're not in tune. If you play the strings one at a time, I could tell you which string(s) need(s) help. Listening to the chords right now just makes my ears hurt a bit.

Ack! No, you're not in tune. If you play the strings one at a time, I could tell you which string(s) need(s) help. Listening to the chords right now just makes my ears hurt a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys-kg1TmOIw

I'm pretty positive it's C that's the most messed up. I actually think it has to do with the string itself, because I've used two online tuners and the chromatic one I just bought and I still haven't been able to get it right.

It would have helped if you had plucked each open string individually. Then, we could tell the exact pitch of each string.

It sounds like your C is tuned to C#. It just needs to be loosened so it drops half a step.

When I do that my tuner reads F? Anytime I loosened or tighten the string it just alternates between reading C# and F . . .

It would have helped if you had plucked each open string individually. Then, we could tell the exact pitch of each string.

I posted a second video of me doing that a few posts up.

If the tuner isn't helping you tune your C string, then just use your ears. You can obviously tell when it sounds "wrong". So all you have to do is turn the peg until it sound right. Or at least less wrong. :)

You could also try matching strings. Play the fourth fret of your C string. At that fret, it should make the same note as your unfretted E string. If they don't sound like they "match" (and if you know your E string is correct), then just adjust the C string accordingly.

Also, make sure your tuner isn't set to some weird guitar or bass mode. It should be set to ukulele (if it has such a mode) or to chromatic.

JJ

You could also try matching strings. Play the fourth fret of your C string. At that fret, it should make the same note as your unfretted E string. If they don't sound like they "match" (and if you know your E string is correct), then just adjust the C string accordingly.

JJ

Thanks, this helped!

Top Bottom