String tension

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
Aloha all,
I would like your opinion...... Like in guitar, the slinkyer(thinner) the strings are
the easier the playabilty it is. Besides the brighter tone and volume worth it
losing out on the deep rich tones?"Keep strumming them strings" Uke On!!
MM Stan..

it seems like there's one perfect string for each uke - lightly built ukes need lighter strings or they get overloaded and rattle and "woof" too much. And I think the hardest woods need more string tension to activate the wood. Yes the fatter strings sound more mellow and can bring out the rich tones if the uke is built for it. But if not the lighter strings bring out the tone better.

I recently switched to lower gauge strings and hate it. Not only do my fingers slip off the fretted strings and strumming finger get caught in the strings, but now my ukulele is too trebly. I've lost a lot of the mid and low range richness. i was using D'addarrios before and liked them, I'm still not sure why I switched!

Aloha all,
I would like your opinion...... Like in guitar, the slinkyer(thinner) the strings are
the easier the playabilty it is. Besides the brighter tone and volume worth it
losing out on the deep rich tones?"Keep strumming them strings" Uke On!!
MM Stan..

Not sure if you're asking a question, or making a statement, but I'll take a stab anyway.

My opinion is, depends on the instrument, and the builder. Thinner strings (like Worth) tend to sound plinky on my instruments, and volume, sustain, complexity and projection all go down.

I personally think setting up an instrument with higher tension strings make for easier playability (lower action), and a greater ability to play at all volumes acoustically, especially soft.
You would think with the greater mass of high tension string you would need higher action, but I find I can drop to .100 or less more easily on a Tenor.

-Aaron

The strings play a bigger role in the amount of brightness. Body size plays a bigger role in richness. For instance, a pineapple soprano may sound both more trebly and warm than some figure-eight body concerts and tenors.

Aloha all who responded,
I've found what worked for me varies, from instrument to instrument. My tenor
and baritone I prefer Higher tension strings while my soprano and concert
I go with thinner strings. It's just my preference, for not that is..things may
change later...."Keep on strumming them strings" Uke On>> MM stan..
Many thanks to all responed. Very much appriciated!!!

Top Bottom