New take on Mainland's

iDavid

Reaction score
I got Mahogany Mainland Tenor several months back and thought it was pretty good. I tried High-g and Low-g on several strings, but the Mainland was always been a tad too quiet and did not have the shimmer I was looking for.

In my quest for the perfect uke I got a KoAloha Concert. The KoAloha immediately took me and has been my main uke.

As I played the Concert KoAloha, I kept thinking I would like a Low-G tenor. So I tried a few more strings on the Mainland and it seemed a bit louder, but still didn't strike me as stellar.

I really liked the Worth Clears on the KoAloha, so put a set of Low-g Worth Clears on the Mainland Tenor and it was louder. I don't know if it was the string or it was opening up.

Last night I switch the Low-g for a High-g on the Mainland and OMG!

The Mainland now rings out and sounds amazing!

In my book the KoAloha is a ten for tone, but the Mainland is a very very close second. I am comparing Mahogany to Koa and a Tenor to a Concert. HOWEVER, Mainland's are the deal of the century. If you are on the fence about a uke and are thinking of a Mainland, DO IT! just get a pack or Worth Clear to go with it. and....... give it sometime to open up.

I've been dying to try that; I bet it is a whole new world.
I've also been wanting to try low G on the Mainland concert.
The mainland mahog has a nice mellow, rich sound. I find the aquillas drown that out.

The mainland mahog has a nice mellow, rich sound. I find the aquillas drown that out.

I'm thinking of a Mainland mahogany soprano as my next purchase, unless, of course, I find a Martin 5K at a yard sale or thrift store (hey, I can dream, can't I?). I haven't ever tried Worth clears, so I'll keep that in mind.

Note to self: next strings will be Worth Clears. I enjoy Fremont Blacklines on my Red Cedar tenor, and I liked Worth Browns about the same. Gonna try the clears.

Mainland rules!

Mainland's what?

Mainland's gorgeous mahogany tenor.
1231084646276-639186083.jpg

Top Bottom