What do you know/think about these brands?

Mim

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am at NAMM!

L-O-V-I-N-G IT!!!

Immersed in music and instruments! It did lead to a roaring migrane today (SENSORY OVERLOAD and forgot to eat lunch... stupid me... and caused me to miss my John Sebastian show I was going to tonight... sigh)

Back to the point:

Checking out lots and lots of ukuleles and the options are endless!
Found a great resonator uke to carry and a affordable banjolele... woot woot!

Looking at a bunch of models. I would like to have some good variety. It is VERY loud in there and it is hard for me to hear tone. So, I am wondering if you guys have any opinions, experience with, or pre-judices (good and bad, even hear-say) about some of these different brands of Ukuleles that I am thinking about...

Koloa - my impression... pretty pretty... quality construction... could not hear them play... bass playing on one side, drums on the other

Riptide by Boulder Breek - Different and Unique, but would you be tempted to buy one (not saying you have to buy one, but if you saw one would you be intrigued?)
http://www.bouldercreekguitars.com/uk_index.html

Morgon Monroe Banjoleles - Seem like an affordable alternative, a lower price point, not the flamed wood, but affordable

Makai

Cordoba

Recording King Resonator Ukuleles - Ok... fancy, tempting. Same problem as the Koloa... loud... you can get the shiny or matte finish. I think the matte is great for those who leave fingerprints. Like me!

Thanks for letting my pick your brain. I knew the best research I could do is here since I do not have much time to scour the internet for reviews (I have limited internet and a packed schedule)

The comments can even be as simple as "Heard such and such sucks/is great/sounds good"

I would have done my homework more if I had known the amount of ukes I would run into. It is overwhelming... maybe not so much tomorrow though now that I have BC headache powders. Caffine and asprin... ahhh!!!

I also have been able to see Eleukes, Eleukes, and More Eleukes! I took pictures... I will do a thread about it soon!

I saw the Morgan Monroe banjoleles online a few weeks ago and was very curious as to how they were. I thought they LOOKED nice. The only banjolele I've played was a Goldtone, which I thought was nice, but a bit more than I would be comfortable spending at this point. So, yeah, it would be great to have a less-expensive alternative. Please let us know if you start to carry them! Or at least let us know if they're decent at all.

Nope. I wouldn't be interested in an affordable banjolele... nope... not one bit...

(DARNIT, WOMAN! Yer trying to kill me! I WANT!)

I know the Riptides sound pretty nice for the price, and they're really loud for laminates, thanks to the side hole design, so some folks might like that a lot. I'm really particular about size and aesthetics, so I probably wouldn't run out and get one right away, but if you were looking to stock variety, it might be worth looking at. Deach did a great review on one of the electric models (my experience is limited, so I'm no help in that department).

I've heard a Morgan Monroe banjo, and it sounded really deep, which I like, so if they could translate that kind of tone to a banjolele that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg, it would jump at the top of my wishlist.

I know Cordobas are made by a Portuguese guitar company. They're really sweet-sounding ukes, and if I hadn't been so eager to grab a cheaply-priced factory-second soprano a couple years ago, I would've made one of these my first. I've heard good things about Cordobas, even if it hasn't been all that much.

I'm excited for affordable banjoleles!

ME TOO!...ME TOO!
As far as the others, the only one I've played is the Makai. I got one of their solid spruce top tenors a while back and am quite impressed, it's a nice playing good sounding uke for the money. I've heard they are made in the same Chinese factory as some Ohana's, don't know for sure, but it seems to be well made.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about their ukes but Recording King makes quality guitars.

I tried a Recording King all-metal resophonic concert ukulele in our local guitar shop. It had been in the sun in the window, which left it sounding dreadful. There were horrendous buzzing noises coming from the cone area. I think it improved once it cooled down, but I didn't hang around to find out. As mentioned above, they apparently make some fine guitars.

You guys are my heros! Awesome information!

I am going to walk to show one more time today and get another good look at everything and then finalize orders and what-not tomorrow... me and my BC Headache powders. I get a migrane maybe once a year, and this one was the worst ever. I am getting old.

Back to the point: I am also going to take some video sometime and pictures. I am sort of a wus when it comes to playing in front of people! In my shop I play in front of people all day, but at NAMM it is crawling with AMAZING artists and as crazy outgoing as I am, I sort of clam up! But I am goint to just get over myself, take some of these down, and give them a good playin' and hopefully hear what I can hear!

So, please keep the information coming! I will be able to read it hopefully once mid day and then devote a lot of time to deciding things tonight.

Cordoba ukes are rugged, over-built, under-achievers from what I have seen and heard, except one... the solid mahogany tenor with cutaway and pickup that Guitar Center is selling in-store at $199 is the best ukulele they make. It is still rugged, but loud enough to be heard, plays well, and the pickup is great.

If you're looking to expand your sales line, I'd take a closer look at the reso-ukes and banjo ukes. Ohana offers a quite complete line of traditional-to-somewhat-progressive ukes, and you already carry them. I agree with Pippin, the $199 Cordoba Tenor seems like a nice-for-the-price workhorse and is the nicest-sounding uke I've played at Guitar Center. Yes, I would be intrigued by the Riptides. Makai seems very, very similar (cough, cough) to the Ohanas you already carry.

Makai = Ohana. They have many similar models and are made in the same factory.

That's what I was hinting at, but I am at the "by all appearances" stage rather than the "I have documented evidence" stage of knowledge. It appears that lots of very nice ukes come out of that factory.

And get some earplugs, Mim, for walking around Namm. I KNOW there's someone there that sells them.
It might help with the headache. Plus it's never a bad thing to protect your ears from loudness.

Aloha MIM,
Thanks for sharing your views and pics of the Namm show, of all the ukes mentioned the
ones that caught my eye was the boulder creek, Rip Tide. I think they may be testing the market
for intrest. I guess they're trying to see if there is intrest in these innovated ukes made usually
made by custom makers. What was your impression of craftsmanship, sound quality, and
price??? Do you think or know if they are made in the U.S.?(you never know)Sometimes
New brands could be flashy but trashy. I'd let others buy them first and wait for their comments.
I just can't wait for your updates, sorry to hear about your migranes and hope you're feeling
better today. Appriciate it very much, Many, Many thanks..... MM Stan...

The only one of those I have personal experience with is the Riptide. I had seen them online, and was surprised to find one at a local store. I took the opportunity to try it out.

My initial impression (before playing) was so-so. It is an unusual looking uke, and that put me off a bit. Curiosity got the better of me, though, and I took it down to try it.

I was very pleasantly surprised. It played as smooth as silk, and sounded wonderful to me.

That being said, I guess the question is whether or not I would buy one....
I think at this point I would have to say no. I still have too much of an issue with how the uke looks.

I hope this helps....

The Cordobas in my local Sam Ash had unfortunately bad tuners so I don't yet have a good impression of them.
I echo the Makai/Ohana comparisions. They're good and even more affordable. I think these can make fantastic first ukes for someone who's interested in something lovely. The only reason I sold my Makai 50W was that it was intimidatingly pretty. Who knew I could be shy around instruments that are too pretty? But that attractiveness and the price point can make these very inviting. Also, like Ohanas and Eleukes, not everyone is carrying these so you get to be a source, a go-to.
Only banjole I've crossed paths with was the Goldtone, and that is because I happened to be in 8th Street Music when the rep was there. We got on like a house on fire and he was easily encouraged to take his back out of the case and demo. Extremely impressive. I looked at the Goldtone ukes in the catalog while I was there and they seem to be another company that is interested in making Martin clones that are a touch more affordable.
I find Riptides intriguing but they fail to be left handed friendly with their sound port placing so I snub them. I will reconsider when they come out with a left handed model.
The Resonator Kings seem to turn up used on ebay with enough frequency. I find myself questioning that.
I am extremely envious that you get to attend NAMM. I'd get pretty giddy/overwhelmed myself.

I own a Recording King concert reso that I like a lot. I find it a bit harsh for strumming but it's my go to instrument for bluesy fingerpicking. There were two in the store when I got mine but the other one didn't sound nearly as good. It was kind of tin can-ish.
I tried several Cordobas when I was looking for a soprano with rope binding. The ones I played were very pretty, heavily braced and very quiet. There were cheaper Lanikais in the store that sounded better to my ears.
Just my .02.

I tried a Resonator King at a local shop and wasn't terribly impressed. It was more that I didn't like the way it felt. Hard to describe other than it just didn't sit well in the hands.

Top Bottom