electric guitar pickup balance

Kaneohe til the end

Reaction score
so... i was thinking of putting this in the guitar section, but in a back and forth decision i went with the luthiers side.

ive learned how to and installed pickups on a few 'ukulele in the past few months, and part of the learning was soldering. so i got brave and attempted to install new pickups on my strat. the soldering seemed ok, but when i plug in, the g and b strings are both weak compared to the other strings. i know on an acoustic instrument with a ust a solution might be to even out the bottom of the saddle so it sits flat on the transducer. but on my guitar the pickups dont go through the bridge, they (from my limited knowledge) pick up vibration near the pickups. is there a simple remedy? could it be my soldering?

How timely, if I wasn't into my Bass, I'd have nothing to say. . .
The only way it would be your soldering is if you overheated something, which is almost impossible if you used Paul's iron and a heat sink.

As for the pickup - can your poles be adjusted?
How's the action - is it higher on those strings?

Hmmm...... Don`t think it`s the soldering!
Starting from basics, what make and model are the pickups and what strings are you using?

How timely, if I wasn't into my Bass, I'd have nothing to say. . .
The only way it would be your soldering is if you overheated something, which is almost impossible if you used Paul's iron and a heat sink.

As for the pickup - can your poles be adjusted?
How's the action - is it higher on those strings?

pete,
its a mexi standard strat, the pups are kleins and ernie ball regular slinkys

kekani,
i think the poles are adjustable, and the action seems even across the board. ive been looking for a place with info on how far the poles should be from the strings but im coming up blank. btw, how goes the bass adventure?

Eeek! those aren`t cheap - whatever you do, don`t try altering the magnet height without checking with the factory first - the old Fenders used to be wound directly on to the magnets.......someone thinks.....hmmm, I`ll just tweak the height of this magnet....gives it a poke and Hey Presto, rough magnet rubs coating off coil wire or breaks it!
I`ve just had a quick play on my guitar (admittedly different pickups) through a frequency analyser and playing on the g & b, there was a bit of a dip around 350hz (low midrange) but nothing serious so I wonder if the staggered magnets aren`t helping.
I usually start with the pickups around 3/32" from the strings and tinker from there.
I hope this helps,
Cheers

Pete

i think the poles are adjustable, and the action seems even across the board. ive been looking for a place with info on how far the poles should be from the strings but im coming up blank. btw, how goes the bass adventure?

Looks like your poles are adjustable as well. I know my DiMarzio's are actually screwed magnets, so they're really easy.

If you Google Strat pickup height, you'll get some references (mostly other forums).
From Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide, it doesn't have a M model spec, but the American Standard, Vintage and SRV are 1/8" Bass side, 3/32" Treble side, with the string pressed at the last fret.

The Bass adventure is slowly coming together - I have everything in except the pickups and controls. Steve Jones hot rodded his cheapo Squire and installed a P&J Bartolini set on his PBass - COMPLETELY different instrument. I knew I was going to set it up with Bartolini's P&J, and now I know which one. Of course my cheapo DiMarzio with the swapped out bridge turned my M into a much nicer PBass as well, but the Bartolini's. . . cheeee hooooo!
I just talked to Paul, who's going to cut a set of templates to route the pickups for me. Can't wait. . .

Aaron

Eeek! those aren`t cheap - whatever you do, don`t try altering the magnet height without checking with the factory first - the old Fenders used to be wound directly on to the magnets.......someone thinks.....hmmm, I`ll just tweak the height of this magnet....gives it a poke and Hey Presto, rough magnet rubs coating off coil wire or breaks it!
I`ve just had a quick play on my guitar (admittedly different pickups) through a frequency analyser and playing on the g & b, there was a bit of a dip around 350hz (low midrange) but nothing serious so I wonder if the staggered magnets aren`t helping.
I usually start with the pickups around 3/32" from the strings and tinker from there.
I hope this helps,
Cheers

Pete

thanks for the recommendation ill try it out, and no they absolutely werent cheap, but i played a friends strat with em and loved it enough to save up to buy it.

Looks like your poles are adjustable as well. I know my DiMarzio's are actually screwed magnets, so they're really easy.

If you Google Strat pickup height, you'll get some references (mostly other forums).
From Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide, it doesn't have a M model spec, but the American Standard, Vintage and SRV are 1/8" Bass side, 3/32" Treble side, with the string pressed at the last fret.

The Bass adventure is slowly coming together - I have everything in except the pickups and controls. Steve Jones hot rodded his cheapo Squire and installed a P&J Bartolini set on his PBass - COMPLETELY different instrument. I knew I was going to set it up with Bartolini's P&J, and now I know which one. Of course my cheapo DiMarzio with the swapped out bridge turned my M into a much nicer PBass as well, but the Bartolini's. . . cheeee hooooo!
I just talked to Paul, who's going to cut a set of templates to route the pickups for me. Can't wait. . .

Aaron

i was just looking at stewmac last night, ended up ordering that book, along with other setup tools. of course, im hiding it. and good luck with getting jigs from paul, lets hope the wait wont be like his customs backorders

Check your wiring diagram (or look at one online).

Height depends a bit on the configuration of the pickups anyway (some strat pickup pole pieces are staggered) and some other things. If the pole pieces are magnetic, they can't be as close (google "stratitis"), whereas if the magnets are beneath the pole pieces like in the MIM strats (at least until recently--not sure about current ones), you can set them tighter. You can also get them a lot closer at the bridge than you can at the neck.

I wouldn't tweak around with the pole pieces. Kleins are really decent! You've been given some really good advice already (including the Erlewine book). I'll add one more Erlewine book: How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great. It has setup examples and some "FAQ" type of setup advice.

I HATE adjusting pickup height probably worse than any other aspect of owning a Fender. There is sooooo much variation in wire, coils, winding patterns, magnets, etc. that ultimately it comes down to LOTS of trial and error and your ear trumps all academic advice.

Good luck! There is nothing in the world better than playing a well-set-up Strat, and nothing more aggravating than dialing one in to EXACTLY that point.

Check your wiring diagram (or look at one online).

Height depends a bit on the configuration of the pickups anyway (some strat pickup pole pieces are staggered) and some other things. If the pole pieces are magnetic, they can't be as close (google "stratitis"), whereas if the magnets are beneath the pole pieces like in the MIM strats (at least until recently--not sure about current ones), you can set them tighter. You can also get them a lot closer at the bridge than you can at the neck.

I wouldn't tweak around with the pole pieces. Kleins are really decent! You've been given some really good advice already (including the Erlewine book). I'll add one more Erlewine book: How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great. It has setup examples and some "FAQ" type of setup advice.

I HATE adjusting pickup height probably worse than any other aspect of owning a Fender. There is sooooo much variation in wire, coils, winding patterns, magnets, etc. that ultimately it comes down to LOTS of trial and error and your ear trumps all academic advice.

Good luck! There is nothing in the world better than playing a well-set-up Strat, and nothing more aggravating than dialing one in to EXACTLY that point.

i will definitely look into that book. thanks.

the great thing is i have most of the tools at work. just need the knowledge and practice now.

Top Bottom