For those of you who own a Kala Ubass......

cb56

Reaction score
I just got one yesterday. (spruce version) The store I got it from ordered three of them 3 weeks ago and yesterday there was one left. I went ahead and bought it (actually traded some gear) even though it had a broken tuner (D string). The store has a new tuner heading my way this week so I took it home (I live 100 miles from the store). I figured I could put the tuner on by myself, if not I'd trek back to the store.
Also the D string looked like it had been stretched and damaged so today I called the store and they are going to have kala send me a new string. Some kid must have gotten hold of it and abused it while it was in the store.

Since I now am going to have to install the tuner and put a new D string on it, today I thought I'd pop the little "trap door" on the back and see what is involved in changing the string. I took all 4 screws out of the trap door and that little door WON'T BUDGE! I even tried using a little suction cup to pull on it and it wouldn't come off.
Now my question....
Anyone taken the little door off the back of your Ubass? easy? Hard? trick to taking it off?
Also anyone change strings yet? Do's don'ts etc??
Had one guy at talkbass tell me his D string tuner broke also. :confused:

Mike told me that the "trap door" was probably stuck because of the finish sticking to the wood. He suggested that I get a small screwdriver and try to pry the door open. (After taking the screws out of course) I didn't have any success at that but was able to stick a small hex wrench in the screw hole and pry it up that way. Hint : don't stick the hex wrench in too far or you'll catch it on the uke's wood instead of the trap door's wood. (Hope that made sense)
Once I got it open I took some sand paper and sanded a tiny bit off of all 4 sides of the door so it will come off easier next time.

As far as changing the strings and other string issues, this video is very helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aVEzhjXaTc

Glad I asked! I ran into a little issue with the pickup button coming loose. Looks from the outset like the nut inside has backed off very slightly. Going to try to snug it up a bit.

Got a bass wah for the uBass today. Stupid fun. Love it.

Jason

Top Bottom