Plan Circulated For Comments/Suggestions

lkdumas

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I will arrive Honolulu on Thursday, 15 July around noon, and will immediately call Kamaka and KoAloha shops from my hotel to request brief tours for that afternoon.

Friday, I will rent a car and drive to the Ko'Olau factory for a tour and check out of the Pono "seconds" that may be available. Friday evening, I have reservations for the 47th annual Uke Fest at the Ala Moana.

Saturday, I will drive to the Hawaiian Music Supply Store, and make a selection after wearing out their patience with "Uke Trials". This seems to be the store with the widest selection available; however, I would prefer something in Honolulu to avoid having to rent a car again.

I'm not visiting the Kanile'a shop as I have a T1 satin.

Sunday morning is the big concert in the park.

Monday is the day to do everything "Uke" that remains to be done.

Tuesday is return to the 916 day.

Any suggestions; this is probably my best shot, and I want to do it right.

Kill two birds, while you're at Ko'olau you may as well hit HMS, they're both located in Wahiawa.

Directions to HMS: The shop is located in the town of Wahiawa on Kamehameha Highway about 1/4 mile from H2 exit 8. Take H2 freeway north to Exit 8 Wahiawa. Merge right onto Kamehameha Hwy and pass through two intersections until you see us on your left.

Directions to Ko'olau: H-2 North to the Wahiawa exit 8 (you are now on Kamehameha Hwy) Continue through Wahiawa to Kilani Ave, turn right. Continue to N.Cane Street, turn left. Proceed to the end of N.Cane Street, into the entrance of Wahiawa Industrial Center Ko'olau Guitar & 'Ukulele Company is in Unit A-10.

Check out the Hawai'i Music Stores listing . . .

We just made that trip in February. Our first time staying in Waikiki.
Had a plan for buying my first ukulele. My strategy was to hit as many of the small local shops as possible; there are plenty of the big chains represented at home so no need to do that.
The last store we went to and where i bought my first uke was Hawaiian Music Supply. A good shop with good people. I must say that for the most part, the small local shops were a bit short on selection, including HMS.
My criteria was a tenor uke with all solid wood that looked and sounded good. Came away with a Pono, not that that was a bad thing but not the best projection in the world. (my newer Pono baritone is much better by the way. The newer ones are built lighter).
What I didn't know about at the time was MGM or MusicGuyMike in Kaneohe, just up the coast from where we were staying.
If I had it to do over again I would trade the trip to HMS for a visit to MGM. A much better selection and certainly a much prettier drive.
For our next trip, factory tours would be high on the list including a couple of the custom makers like Chuck Moore.
Have a great trip. I'm jealous.
Aloha.

Top Bottom