Pickup Installed vs. Uke with Pickup

TheVandal

Reaction score
So which one should I go for? I was planning on getting the MiSi pickup installed on my Kamoa. Or should I just get an acoustic/electric ukulele for about the same price as the MiSi pickup product/installation?

Oh. If I do get the Acoustic/Electric one, what uke should I end up getting? :D

Thanks!
-Niko

The end result is basically the same. The differences come in what type of wood the ukulele is made out of : laminate or solid, and the quality of the pickup.

The most effective combo would probably be a solid wood ukulele with a high quality active pickup installed.

Depending on what model of Kamoa you have, the MiSi may be a good route to go.

One of the very best combinations I've found as far as "plugged" sound is the Ohana TK-20CE. Believe it or not, laminated back and sides are great for stability and that uke still has a solid mahogany top. There are many people that claim laminated back and sides on instruments also help prevent feedback and I have found, at least from my experience, that it may, indeed, be true. Sometimes solid back and sides will result in more incidental noise that the pickup seems to find. By preference for an add-in pickup is LR Baggs.

Installing the Mi-Si isn't too difficult. If you've got a few tools you could do the job yourself and save a few bucks. I put one in one of my 'ukes and had no difficulties. There is a video tutorial on the UU site specifically addressing Mi-Si installation.

If you like your Kamoa, then the MiSi is a good option. Their physics are very unobtrusive to the original sound. If you're talking a $130 uke with a built in pickup, is the quality really going to be that good?

Some of the electrics have a very different sound. I have a BoatPaddle Kayak that I had a MiSi installed in and a Risa Solid electric with a built in German Shadow pickup that the uke was designed around. They both have incredible sounds when plugged in, but are very different. (The Risa sells for about twice the price of what you're talking.)

Anyone out there have a Mainland Tenor (or other size) with the built in pickup? Seems like a good combo to me for around $350.

Anyone out there have a Mainland Tenor (or other size) with the built in pickup? Seems like a good combo to me for around $350.

I have a Mainland concert with the MiSi installed. The great thing about it is there's no battery compartment. You charge the internal battery with a quarter inch plug into the jack, plug the other end into the wall, and 60 seconds later you're good to go for something like 16 hrs. I just recharge before any gig and have never had a problem. Right now I'm going into a Fender Twin, tweaking the EQs there, then I use a 7-band EQ for a different tone for certain songs, solos, or instant level boost, etc. Now I'm considering getting an LR Baggs pre-amp. Anybody have any experience with those when using the MiSi?

Hey ukecantdothat - thanks for the info; it sounds like a cool setup. Lovin' your "Isn't it a Pity" video; one of my favorite albums of all time! God bless George - RIP.
Since you're using a Twin, maybe I should get the Mainland and try it through my Showman w/vintage Reverb unit that I use for surf...yeah, that sounds like a great idea...

let me know how if you were able to install the pick up, I was thinking of installing mi-si to my kamoa too and make a vid of your kamoa

I almost bought a tenor kamoa uke from larry's music but I changed my mind.

Have had my new Mainland Tenor with the Misi pick-up for a few weeks. Have played 3 gigs with it thru my Roland AC-60, so far. Very happy with the sound. Came with aquilas, will be changing to worths, but am thrilled with the uke.

A good uke with a crappy pickup is no good for giggling. You need a good uke with a good pickup. Stick with your current uke and get the MiSi installed and you'll have the best of both worlds. Buying a cheap new uke will give you at best an average uke with an average pickup.

My husband installed a Mi-Si in my "main" uke a couple of years ago. It's great!

Top Bottom