Go-Bar Rods

camface

Reaction score
I am trying to rig up a Go-bar deck, but I don't want to shell out so much for go bars. I can get some fiberglass rod for pretty cheap, but I'm not sure which thickness would be best. From what I've read, 1/8" - 3/8" all seem to be used. What would be appropriate for a uke? Anyone know what thickness the Stewmac/LMII rods are?

I just bought a bunch of 3/16" fiberglass rods that are 48" long for about $1.00 a piece from a kite supply company in Washington state. By the looks of them, it seems that's where LMI gets theirs from plus I was able to get a box of 100 vinyl tips for a couple bucks. Those cable rods seem pretty thick.

Better still, if you want to go cheap, just use wood dowel stock. 1/4" x 48" dowel stock is less than $0.30 each.
Cut them slightly longer than the height of your deck..... well, you've seen the pictures.
Having gone through similar thought process, I came to realize anything else, albeit clever or attractive, is simply an elaboration on this simple method to achieve the same results.

I like the dowel stock idea (simple and cheap). Do you just buy the poplar dowels or are you using something else?

I have also borrowed the spring loaded clamp idea from Hana Lima. I use 1/2" ID PVC tubing with a 1/8" all thread stopper bar in the top, to hold the spring. Home Depot sells blister packs of springs cheap, making it easy to vary the size and strength of the spring. Because you don't have to bend anything, you can construct a much more compact go bar deck. You also avoid the minefield effect, where one bar springs out of place, knocking a bunch of others out.

Brad

Top Bottom