Morena?

StereoJoker

Reaction score
During my daily eBay vintage uke-browsing, I stumbled upon this listing.

I've never seen a ukulele like this one before, and I checked the UU archives and Tiki King's database for mention of it. So far, I haven't been able to find any sort of information on it other than what's provided by the seller: it's probably from the 1950s, made by Morena Musical Instruments Co., who apparently constructed guitars during that time period (I found a listing for an antique Morena Co. guitar in New Zealand, but other than that, I'm clueless).

It's kind of a stretch for me to ask this question, given the lack of information out there, but does anybody know anything else about this ukulele, or even Morena? (I asked the seller about the wood, since I can't really see the grain to even begin guessing.)

Otherwise, for some of you vintage nuts, here's a neat little guy to add to your collection!

I was just going to reply "if it was only a pineapple" but then I hit the link and... UAS relapse coming on strong. This looks like a pineapple 'ukulele that Pablo Picasso would build. Just sold my KPK so have some change but supposed to pay bills with that money.
GET BEHIND ME MORENA!

MorenaUkulele.jpg

Last edited:
Never heard of them, but it's kind of a cool-looking little thing. Sure looks more '60s than '50s to me though.

Extremely cool, space age!

All right, update from the seller regarding some of the specs: it's all wood (I'm still unclear as to whether or not that actually means "solid wood", but it's the best answer I could get), it's not koa (maybe poplar?), the tuning pegs are wooden and the frets are brass.

I really wish there was a sound sample. It's an off brand and an off shape and if I could splurge, I'd definitely bid on this and take the chance.

Top Bottom