Chord Families (HELP)

heymak

Reaction score
I am trying to put together some practice sheets for learning chords and I want to arrange them by chord familes (Key). I understand how to get seven of them by doing the maj, min, min, maj, maj, min , dim , maj thing. Where I am getting confused is how I work out additional chords. For instance, In Key of C, I get " C, D min, E min, F, G, A min, B dim and C. I often see G7 subbed for B dim and other chords added as well. How do I determine which additional chords to add for each key? Here is a sample of what I'm trying to do but it needs more chords. I think it helps me to learn the chords better by work out these sheets. By the way I'm a lefty so the sample will look backwards to most of you.

Thanks

Mike K

Attachments

• key of C..jpg
    key of C..jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 14
Actually I just realized that chart doesn't offer any other chords, but it might be a helpful resource anyway.

I understand how to get seven of them by doing the maj, min, min, maj, maj, min , dim , maj thing. Where I am getting confused is how I work out additional chords. For instance, In Key of C, I get " C, D min, E min, F, G, A min, B dim and C. I often see G7 subbed for B dim and other chords added as well. How do I determine which additional chords to add for each key?

I think you're on the right track. In any key there is a pattern to the triads (three-note chords) that corresponds to the note from the scale, or the "degree":

1 = major
2 = minor
3 = minor
4 = major
5 = major
6 = minor
7 = diminished

The next step is to go beyond three-note chords and get into the world of four-note chords. That's where G7 comes from... it's a four-note chord. You get them by tacking on an extra note on the end of the usual triad.

And, like triads, there's a pattern:

1 = major 7th
2 = minor 7th
3 = minor 7th
4 = major 7th
5 = dominant 7th
6 = minor 7th
7 = half-diminished 7th (also called a "minor 7th, flat 5")

So, in the key of C, you've got your C chord. But you also have a Cmaj7 if you want it. Likewise, your Dm can be extended to a Dm7, your F can be an Fmaj7, etc. The tricky part is the "5" chord, which is G in your example. That one doesn't get extended to a Gmaj7 like all the other major triads. Instead, it's a G7 (no "maj" involved), which is also called a "dominant 7" chord.

Hope that helps a bit and didn't just confuse the heck out of you. :cool:

JJ

Thanks guys. Ukulele JJ that's the kind of thing I was looking for. I am a complete music novice except for a year of grade school band 4 decades ago. This site has already help me a ton. Does this look alright?

Attachments

• key of C2..jpg
    key of C2..jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Heymak, what software are you using to make those slick chord sheets? I've been looking for something like that. Thanks in advance,

Heymak, what software are you using to make those slick chord sheets? I've been looking for something like that. Thanks in advance,

It's a free program called Paint.net with the fonts combinumerals added and a blank chords sheet. Found them all using google.

Attachments

• blank chord shee&#116.jpg
    blank chord shee&#116.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 12
here's a couple of links (under my signature), one of which is composed of practice sheets in designated keys
to help you gain familiarity and dexterity in learning and changing chords.

Enjoy,

here's a couple of links (under my signature), one of which is composed of practice sheets in designated keys
to help you gain familiarity and dexterity in learning and changing chords.

Enjoy,
Thanks and I have seen and am using them. Part of this is an exercise in learning about chord theory and also for me to have something made for a lefty. I didn't want to just transpose your chords to lefty and not know why they go together. Again thanks. Your ukulele boot camp was the first thing I printed out to use.

Mike K

Top Bottom