Best songs to play on a banjo-uke?

rasputinsghost

Reaction score
I just got a great Kay banjo-uke from bassfiddlesteve, and I'm trying to find songs that sound good on it. I know that Five Foot Two and Rainbow Connection sound great on it - what do you banjo ukers like to play? Thanks!

I like songs with a vintage 1920s 1930s rag time sound to it. Look and listen too some music from that era. They are fun on the banjo uke, and just feel and sound right on them. I leanred "Sunny Afternoon" by the kinks, using the arrangement that Jasper Happy plays. He put a rag time spin on that song which is aweseome. You can hear his sound bite if you look him up on ebay selling his strings. I will see if I can find it and post it.. Really fun song to play on the banjo uke.

I want a banjo uke so I can play songs you wouldn't think would fit it, hehehe.

Anything by George Formby!

I noticed the other day that there is a distinct lack of accurate George Formby chords on the internet, actually.
There are a few in the uke section of www.alligatorboogaloo.com, but I'm not so sure about their version of When I'm Cleaning Windows. It doesn't sound right - may be the wrong key, or just a bad transcription, I don't recall.

I think there's a chordbook somewhere, but again, that isn't said to be too accurate.

I noticed the other day that there is a distinct lack of accurate George Formby chords on the internet, actually.
There are a few in the uke section of www.alligatorboogaloo.com, but I'm not so sure about their version of When I'm Cleaning Windows. It doesn't sound right - may be the wrong key, or just a bad transcription, I don't recall.

I think there's a chordbook somewhere, but again, that isn't said to be too accurate.

Formby used D tuning (A D F# B), so what they have listed as an F would be a G using the same fingering.

I really like "Hot Tamales" by Robert Johnson and "Daydream" by the Lovin' Spoonful on banjo uke.

I was playing uke at my friend's party and I learned about that song there! It's really fantastic, and sounds even better on my banjo-uke. Thanks for reminding me!

Formby did indeed in the main tune to A D F# B but in this case it was C. I have the chords should you so wish

Good Company by Queen... Awesome song and completely over-looked. A masterpiece by Brian May in the ragtime style of the Temperance Seven. Played on a genuine George Formby ukulele with amazing May trademark guitar orchestration for the brass section!

Hear it and get the tab HERE

Also, anything ragtime suth as 12th Street Rag, or Five Foot Two... And ofcourse anything by George Formby!

Cool song.. Aint heard that in awhile.. Diggin it all over again..

Just for fun you should sing Cleaning Windows. The Van Morrison song, NOT the Formby song.

I just got a great Kay banjo-uke from bassfiddlesteve, and I'm trying to find songs that sound good on it. I know that Five Foot Two and Rainbow Connection sound great on it - what do you banjo ukers like to play? Thanks!

HE sold it to you! awwww.. :) awesome

Top Bottom