Ohana Sopranino compare

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Here is the SK-21 Sopranino next to my Ohana SK-35 for size compare. Cute little thing. I need a name for her yet, but here she is, standing next to her big brother "IZ".

35931_137739826241816_100000173975723_399027_4621056_n.jpg

35931_137739832908482_100000173975723_399028_1974362_n.jpg

Posing with big brother IZ.
35931_137740409575091_100000173975723_399067_3462811_n.jpg

A dollar's worth of happy..
35931_137740422908423_100000173975723_399068_1537933_n.jpg

The little Sopranino's are a blast! Enjoy, and just remember that they actually do get better with time! After you tire of the Aquilas, throw some Fremont Blacklines on it. Once they settle, they feel and sound perfect for the little beastie!

Cool pix,
Cheers,
Skottoman

Yup, I plan to order a couple set of the blackline mediums on my next string order.. Im gonna let the Aquilas settle in and see how they do. They aren't too bad, but are a little slack. Not a big problem but might get kinda anoying while doing some serios shreading, lol.. It actually kind of suprised me at the sound of it.. Not near as toyish as I expected..

By the way.. I'm kinda leaning towards the name "Pilikua"

Last edited:
I just got one also, and it sounds good tuned to D with Ko'olau Golds. A very plinky, cartoony sound.

I don't think that wood is real mahogany, I am curious as to what it really is. But it's a nice little piece.

It might be a cheaper variety of mahogany. There are several species of it, some cheaper than others. I did notice it is lighter in color than my SK-35 which is also mahogany. I thought that kind of odd being from the same manufactuer. My SK-35 isn't that much older so it doesn't have the seniority to gain it's "rich" red/brown that aged mahogany gets over time, so if they were the same species they should be very close to the same color, but the SK-21 is kinda lighter.

Here is the SK-21 Sopranino next to my Ohana SK-35 for size compare. Cute little thing. I need a name for her yet, but here she is, standing next to her big brother "IZ".

Posing with big brother IZ.
35931_137740409575091_100000173975723_399067_3462811_n.jpg

A dollar's worth of happy..
35931_137740422908423_100000173975723_399068_1537933_n.jpg

Since she's a girl she is a Sopranina so how about Nina for short. ;)

Beleive it or not. I thought of that name. My wife's name is "Nita" and I thought "Nina" would be cute.. So far I am leaning to "Pilikua", but haven't ruled out Nina yet..

Wow, that is smaller than I thought it would be. This is actually the first time I've seen one next to a regular soprano. Very cool!

Thats why I took the pictures, especially next to the dollar bill. I seen lots of pictures of it, but never next to anything where I could compare the scale of it. So, I wanted to take some of it's big brother, and a dollar to scale the size of it in pictures.. It is smaller than I thought too. I knew it was 2" smaller, but that is hard to picture, and doesn't seem like much, but scaled down in all directions, it is considerable.

I might also mention that I love the rosewood binding on my SK-35, and was sort of wishing the SK-21 also had that in lue of the white plastic type binding. But, I am pleased to see that it isn't as white as I thought it would be. It is more of an "eggshell" or ivory color than white, which IMHO looks much nicer than if it were actually white..

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison photos.

Photos like those are really interesting and helpful in making a decision to buy or not.

Mahalo and Keep Uke'in',

Aloha Tudorp,
Congrats on your new aquirement, looks kinda small next to the dollar but it looks well
made with white binding in front and the back. Wow I'm so jealous, I want one now..
I've noticed the from the 12th fret to the saddle is almost te length of the dollar. Hows
the fretboard, compared to your ohana soprano, is it just as wide???Pili kua means
beloved husband, I was thinking maybe Ku'u poki'i beloved younger sister,term of
affection...since it's next to your ohana soprano..Well buddy I'm happy for you, You've
must have got it on saturday and must have been wearing out the strings yesterday.
Did you find a case or bag for it? I wonder if they do make one for it? And How's
the Aquilla's sounding, well I guess you have to break them in yet. It looks like
it will be comfortable to take everywhere...Anyways I'm very happy for you,
and Keep Strumming them strings" Ukuleles is for ever!!!! MM Stan.
P.S. Thanks for the comparision photo's, I appriciated them very much...Until
next time, Take care....and Mahalo and Aloha..

Last edited:
Aloha Brother..

I might need to do a name change. I looked up Pilikua and it translated as "Giant" and was trying to do the "irony" thing, lol. Is that wrong then? Maybe little sister is better, seeing I am calling it "IZ's" little sister (My Ohana Soprano). I have been having fun with it, and have been playing the heck out of it. It does take "some" getting used to, because the fret board is slightly tighter than it's bigger brother. It might be a bigger issue if you are used to playing a concert or tenor. But, me used to the soprano it really isn't that bad of an adjustment. I will take some measurments between the two and post them in a few minutes. It is a well made instrument for a "production" instrument. I am very pleased with Ohana stuff. Very well made stuff for the mid price range instruments. I really like the sound, and was very impressed with the sopranino. You can tell it's small, but still for it's size has a very grown up tone to it. The Aquilas aren't too bad, but are slightly more slack than on the Soprano. I will keep them on it for now, but will get some blacklines to try anyway. For now, I have to tune it every few minutes, but expected that anyway with such a small instrument with new strings.. for now, it will go out of tune during a song..

I'll take some measurements and post them..

Last edited:
Fret board measurements:

Width
SK-21: 1-5/16th" @ fret #1, 1-5/8th @ fret #12, 5/8" thick

SK-35: 1-3/8" @ fret #1, 1-11/16th" @ fret #12, 5/8" thick

nut to fret #1
SK-21: 3/4"
SK-35: 7/8"

Nut-Saddle
SK-21: 12"
SK-35: 13-3/4"

SK-21: 12 frets
SK-35: 15 frets

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Yes, they do make a bag for it. It is Ohana model #UB-19. It is the very same bag as the UB-21 Ohana has for the Soprano, except 19" for the Sopranino size. I still need to get one tho. Mim sent me one of the UB-21s because she didn't have the smaller bag, but to be honest, it fits it fine, just a little baggy on her, lol.. Elderly also has a very nice hard case for the sopranino size for $60.

Last edited:
Hey Stan,

I'm diggin "Ku'u poki" for a name for the sopranino. Can you type that for me "phoneticlally" so I can know how it is pronounced?

Much thanks brotherman..

Last edited:
Congrats. Tune that little baby to D. No slack strings and then she sings...

Aloha Tudorp,
I checked it out and pilikua also means Giant or close to the back of the body too. So I guess it has
multiple meanings...Ku'u poki'i might be very appropiate for you..Pronounced would be ku'u po key e
is Beloved little sister... I hope this helps, totally awesome Bruddah, Take Care and enjoy!!! Until next time Aloha MM Stan
I'm not sure it the pronouncation is right, maybe somebody can help too....

Last edited:
LOVE MINE!!! But mine has darker wood... and they came at the same time... weird, eh? Maybe it just depends on which cut you get! When I realized how awesome they were I went to order a stock of more and there was only 1 left. It come in Wednesday. So if anyone is looking for them, get them now, because there is no telling when they will be back again. Ohanas in general are great!!! And it is not because I am biased... they are great!!!

It could very well be the cut Mim. It could also be your wood was seasoned longer before they used it, as well with my SK-35 (because it too is darker). Mahogany will darken with age, and take on an awesome rich redish brown color. Even tho mahogany is not known for it's beauty, it is one of my most favorite woods, and IMHO a very beautiful wood when aged. Mine will darken as well as it ages. It's just a youngin right now tho.. lol...

BTW: Mim, did you get my email on mailing suggestions? I have allot of experience with shipping and hope the info I gave you is helpful. Can save ya some heartache at any rate.. I sent it, but not sure if it went through.

Thanks again for the awesome deal you cut me on that.

T

Last edited:
Top Bottom