"Incidental Sales" eh?... Define Incidental

Mim

Reaction score
When I first started selling Ukuleles, I had to ask my landlord (it is in my contract that I have to inform him of any change of what my store offers). He replied with an e-mail that stated I could have "incidental sales" of Ukuleles. He never defined incidental!

First version in "incidental":

P1110189.jpg

Now...

IMG_8496.jpg

And that still is not enough room! I am going to make some single hangers tomorrow to hang ukes in other random spots around the shop. I sure hope there are no site visits scheduled anytime soon :p

You can always just say "Oh, incidentally, I sell ukuleles".

Just looking at that makes me want to come visit!

Can people help it if they come in for ice cream and walk out with an ukulele? I don't think so.

Where's the ice cream? Oh wait a sec, this isn't "Ice Cream Underground". ;)
I see 4 pineapples, mahalo for sharing the pineapple aloha. Any pineapple ice cream?

Merriam Webster's definition:

Main Entry: 1in·ci·den·tal
Pronunciation: \ˌin(t)-sə-ˈden-təl\
Function: adjective
Date: 1644

1 a : being likely to ensue as a chance or minor consequence <social obligations incidental to the job> b : minor 1
2 : occurring merely by chance or without intention or calculation

Last edited:
Aloha MIM,
Can't imagine what you do on your spare time at the shop.....HMMMMM
Yup looks Incidental for sure.....

• Buy a bunch of cheap Mahalos or Dolphins
  • Buy some small colorful plastic bowls
  • Glue the bowls onto the ukes
  • Start selling a "Hawaiian Sundae" that costs $50, is topped with pineapple and coconut, and is served in a ukulele-bowl. :)
  • Allow your customers to upgrade to more expensive ukulele-bowls. Those higher-end versions would, of course, be "do it yourself" models... they come with the bowl separately.

There. Now you're not selling ukuleles. You're selling sundaes. Some of them just happen to come with ukes, merely as a garnish. :cool:

JJ

I think that means something like "Impulse". Like, someone wanders into your shop, then suddenly decides they want a Ukulele, and you suddenly sell it to them. Kinda weird use of the term. It insinuates that you are not allowed to have someone come in for the sole purpose to purchase a Uke, premeditated uke purchase? odd, and don't make any sense. I think your landlord is just trying to sound business like and used that term, not fully understanding it himself maybe? Maybe he means that you have to use the space as you intended to when you signed the lease agreement. Meaning, you leased it to sell Ukulele's or other instruments, and that you can not suddenly decide you want to also sell washing machines..

That said, I think that is pretty much standard clause in commercial lease agreements. It protects the landlord in a way that he/she needs to approve what the space is being used for. That way, if you set up a specific shop as a front for illegal activity, and it gets busted, or someone gets hurt on the premises from doing something illegal, the landlord can claim that he/she never approved that activity, and they have a legal out for any liability because it the space was being used in a way that was not set in the agreement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom