Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Yes - I play and do not ride but would like to

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • No - I play but don't ride and don't want to

Votes: 18 40.9%

• Total voters

lambchop

Reaction score
OK, so far I have met four people (well, one of them is me) who play ukulele and ride scooters. Is this some kind of a trend or is this just a wierd coincidence?

Both are small, handy, and fun. Also relatively affordable. You see it here in Hawai'i' some young guy on a moped with a 'ukulele strapped to his back.
Back in the mid 80s I worked in a lumberyard in the same town only about 5 minutes away so used to ride my Honda Spree to work. 50 cents a week for fuel costs and no insurance required. I think it cost me new under $500. Back then no cheap Chinese 'ukuleles, no KoAloha, no Kanile'a, just Kamakas as far as I knew.
HondaSpree.jpg

Last edited:
Here in Bermuda, s'about all we can ride. One car per household and the bride... well, it's her car. I've never had a driver's license and haven't actually driven a car in almost 20 years (my last "lesson")

OK, so far I have met four people (well, one of them is me) who play ukulele and ride scooters. Is this some kind of a trend or is this just a wierd coincidence?

I don't call mine a scooter but here's mine:
36025_400386535207_593995207_4364446_3583100_n.jpg

That is my Kamaka HF-3 on the sissy bar.

I play and ride a motorcycle (though never at the same time), so I put myself down as playing and riding. I've never ridden a motor-scooter, but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

I'm just about to get a new scooter...don't know which to get. I was thinking of a 70's Honda ct70 or something vintage like that. Any suggestions? I currently ride my dads aprilla scarabeo

I ride a vintage Vespa P200 and also a Bajaj (Indian family scooter) Chetak. It turns out a few other people here scoot and uke. Selling ukes I get to meet so many cool people and see that many of us have like interest.

Actually I began my riding life with a Yamaha Beluga scooter, a bright red 80cc scoot, and I've had great affection for them ever since. I quickly graduated to bigger motorcycles, and went though about 15 in as many years: Triumph, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Harley Davidson, BMW and others. I'm currently between bikes now, but my last one was a Royal Enfield 500cc Bullet.

Well, I used to ride an Electraglide before I became disabled (accident part of the reason I am disabled). And I have always loved the vintage Vespas, BUT, being 6'5" @ over 500lbs, I am not so much "Scooter Friendly". One large enough to tote my fat ass kinda defeats the purpose of a scooter, hehheh..

I'm just about to get a new scooter...don't know which to get. I was thinking of a 70's Honda ct70 or something vintage like that. Any suggestions? I currently ride my dads aprilla scarabeo

Which Scarabeo - in the early 2000s they had a 500 model with some great on-board hard bags and cases. I almost bought one. Instead I have a Yamaha Majesty 400 and love it. Can go anywhere and will easily do over 90 (and, no, I never have had it that fast). I've had vintage bikes and love them but never enjoy riding them for long periods of time, so my suggestion would be get a newer Vespa or Piaggio or a Burgman 650, Honda Silverwing, or, my favorite, a Majesty. I have ridden a couple of 400 Burgmans and while some people just love them, I like the Majesty, which is the same displacement, to be a better ride overall.

Mike

Both are small, handy, and fun. Also relatively affordable. You see it here in Hawai'i' some young guy on a moped with a 'ukulele strapped to his back.

I think you have really discovered the common ground of the two. I always choose my scooter over my motorcycle and even though it is one of the maxi-scooters (a Yamaha Majesty) it is so much easier than my motorcycle - no shifting. Same with ukulele over guitar - more compact, I get more music, can be more amazing, and have more fun. Mike

I used to ride a 1976 Motobecane moped. Not in 1976, I was 5, a couple of years ago. The engine seized and I don't have the small engine skills to fix it, so I sold it to a moped enthusiast and I miss it so. I am definitely in the market for a new bike, sooner than later!

I got started with a Puch moped then a Honda trail 90 which I outfitted with a C-70 front leg shields and a low-slung exhaust.

I finally got a Yamaha Riva 180 and then moved up to a Honda 1100 Goldwing! Whew, what a change in one day!

Unfortunately, I don't have a ride anymore and I miss it.

Ideally, I would like to have had a Vespa (150 or 200) or a Lambretta (150).

Whenever I go home to Honolulu, and I see lots of people zipping around on 50cc scooters, makes me wish I had one to
use.

Oh well, ...

Keep uke'in',

I drive a Mitsubishi Mirage, which isn't much bigger than a scooter.

I am currently in the market for a scooter. I love my Harley but I have been transferred to a new school and my journey to work is on back roads so a scooter would be perfect. I am thinking of a bergman 400 but maybe I'll get one of these small 50cc scooters. Hmmmmm...

I'm 210 and a 50cc scooter will get me to 25 mph maybe 30 with a stiff breeze on my back. Fine for around town but that's it.

Here's my dream scooter.
wallpaper1280_mcy_00_cal-mar-apr.jpg

More my price range:
yamaha_Vino50_scooter.jpg

I ride a Vespa GT200 here in Toronto. I know 6 other Toronto Ukulaliens who ride scooter, and there are 6 of us that come out to the Corktown Ukulele jams! The 7th just bought a uke, so he'll be showing up at uke night soon too,

Top Bottom