Is this really a banjo uke?

Skitzic

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this on eBay.

A 'vintage Dallas banjo ukulele.'

A few things seem strange to me...the double marker at the 7th fret, and it looks like it has steel strings...I tried looking Dallas up on Google, but I kept getting a different company with a different logo and headstock design...

So what is this?

No, that is a "Tenor" banjo... I think they are simply making the reference to bring in lookers looking for banjo ukes, because banjo ukes are gaining popularity very fast. So, they took that liability of making that claim by saying "we think", at the same time, making it searchable under "banjo uke". Nice trick by them, and really nothing wrong with that, the point is, the buyer needs to know what it is they are getting.

So, to answer your question, it is a Tenor Banjo, and still not a bad price tag.. Should sell for around $100, maybe up to $130-50.

Last edited:
Its worth buying if you can get it for around $100 including shipping. Looks to be in decent playable condition. It is an "entry level" banjo, and It isn't so "vintage" though. It looks to be around 1970s, 1980s era. I guess that could be considered vintage, but my frame of reference, vintage is older than that, lol.. An age thing I think, hahha.. I restored several "vintage" banjos, 1 being a banjo Uke, a tenor, and a 5 string jazz banjo are three of them you can see in my sig. All three of those are 1920s 1930s. They are tons of fun...

Last edited:
I didn't know they made tenor banjos...thanks!

Oh yes. Some Tenor Banjo enthusiasts shun the five string Banjo as an abomination. They think only four string Banjos are worthy of the name Banjo.

Tudorp,
What makes this tenor a banjo uke? Scale length? Reentrant tuning? Or simply cross-marketing?

Yup.. Its one of those words that is so overused, it really has no meaning anymore. Like the word "Rare". I crack up at the use of that word allot on the bay. I actually seen a seller that used it in every single listing his listed. On one occasion, I seen him list an item as rare, and at the same time, he had several different listings for the same item. He apparently had 10 or so of that item. How lucky can you be possessing 10 of the same very rare item? hahha..

Ebay is what it is. I use it allot to find things. But like I said, it all boils down to knowing what it is you are looking for, and/or looking at, knowing it's value, and what it is worth to you.. Doing the math, and deciding to go for it, or not..

I'm too lazy to learn new chords though. It's cool, but I've got my hands full with guitar and uke...ah well. Someday I'll have my Gold Tone...

Could this be tuned GCEA, though? I'm assuming so... don't see why not.

Just curious...

To be totally honest, I am not sure what exactly draws the line between banjo, and ukulele. I'm not so sure it is the scale length, because how would you explain a baritone uke? I think it has more to do with the way it is tuned. Banjo strings are a completely different tuning than a Uke. I am SO far from being a pro. I don't even know, or even understand music theory. I am simply a musician/music enthusiast. I gone down the musician path of most resistance. We have had this conversation before about "therory/no therory" is it needed or not? I believe not, even though, with it, my journey would have been much easier. My abilities are raw natural abilities, and being able to pick up melodies from the sense of hearing. I can hear something and just tell if it is sharp, flat, or the wrong note, or key, even if I don't know what that note, or key is. Not so fantastic though, many can do that. It's just a tuned ear I guess. As far as restoring vintage banjos, I just love to do it. I am no Luthier, but I love to restore banjos because they, unlike any other string instrument are pretty modular. I think they are the only one you can just take completley apart, repair/replace/clean individual parts, and put them back together and play them. I have restored several over the past few years, and love it.

But at any rate. Again, I am not sure what makes a banjo Uke a banjo uke and not just a banjo. My Banjo uke is small like you would expect (about 22" long), and it is tuned just like a Ukulele but has that fun tinny, banjo sound. So, I would think that being strung like a Ukulele, and ukulele strings, and tuning, is what makes it a banjo uke.

Last edited:
I dont see why not either. In fact, I have thought about doing that with my Gretcsh tenor banjo. Just hadn't yet. I think you need to do some experimentation with the string gauges to get the right tensions, but, sure, I dont see why it can't be done, and I have thought about taking my steel banjo strings off of "Jed" and putting some baratone uke strings on it.. Just to see how it would do.

Could this be tuned GCEA, though? I'm assuming so... don't see why not.

Just curious...

I dont see why not either. In fact, I have thought about doing that with my Gretcsh tenor banjo. Just hadn't yet. I think you need to do some experimentation with the string gauges to get the right tensions, but, sure, I dont see why it can't be done, and I have thought about taking my steel banjo strings off of "Jed" and putting some baratone uke strings on it.. Just to see how it would do.

...you just had to post this...I had decided to keep saving my pennies and you go off about how easy it is to restore and in theory this should work...

...now I'm pondering picking it up again.

hahhah.. Sorry about that.. lol.. But, if you do, it will be fun, I can assure you that.. Banjos are fun to play, and they bring smiles much like the Ukulele does..
And besides that, there aint nuthin sexier than seeing a gal playing a banjo.. <wink>

As a side note. You may have do "some" modifying the tailpeice of the banjo. Since banjo strings are steel, and how they wrap and terminate at the tailpeice may very well not be so plastic, or nylon string friendly. I dont' think it would be hard to do, but you do have to think about that, and how the strings terminate, and leave the tailpeice so the strings dont get cut.

Last edited:
Ebay is FULL of those entry level tenor banjos, so just do a search and you will find several to choose from...

Let me know if you're going to start bidding, Skitzic, and I'll cancel mine. I kinda wanted it, but you had first dibs.

Don't cancel yours. It's pushing my limit right now anyway. But thanks for the thought!

Top Bottom