Aquila string question

fa'a Junior

Reaction score
So I ordered some Concert and Tenor strings from elderly as its cheap right now and recognized a bit of a change, I think. The concert strings are extra long now than before. Also the feel of them seem different. I didn't know at first, but then realized it doesn't squeek no more. Anyone else ordered and seen a difference.

Did you get Nylgut?

Supposed to be a new Nylgut formula, shiney and smooth.

It'll be interesting to hear what people think of these. This is from a post on FMM:

Hi to all friends,

there is a new: Nylgut is improvoved.

the new Nylgut:

1) stretch less than the first version. In practise now it stretch like the common nylon strings

2) it is stonger ans less able to breack under tension.

3) the surface is perfectly polished and smooth, I mean that it is the same of the nylon strings now.

4) the colour is a bit less milked

this new version will be soon in the market. I suppose with the next seller's orders.
Ciao!

Mimmo (Aquila Owner & founder)

It'll be interesting to hear what people think of these. This is from a post on FMM:

Hi to all friends,

there is a new: Nylgut is improvoved.

the new Nylgut:

1) stretch less than the first version. In practise now it stretch like the common nylon strings

2) it is stonger ans less able to breack under tension.

3) the surface is perfectly polished and smooth, I mean that it is the same of the nylon strings now.

4) the colour is a bit less milked

this new version will be soon in the market. I suppose with the next seller's orders.
Ciao!

Mimmo (Aquila Owner & founder)

Bad move Mimmo. I love everything about the old Nylgut strings "as is". Love to "hear" and feel the sound of the un-smooth texture of the strings. Very earthy. The other noted improvements puzzle me as well. Never had a string break and the tuning was no worse than any other brands I've tried. I might just have to stock up on a case before the change out.... that being said, I'm sure most players may welcome the change...

Last edited:
Maybe they can start to offer "New Nylgut" and "Nylgut Classic" :)

I really think they should. It confuses me a little...they're so popular right now, why mess with them? I would understand if they were a little used string...blah. Dumb business people.

Let's wait and see. I love Nylguts on my Fluke and Flea. Can't wait to try out the new ones. I suppose it's possible that they've managed to keep all the tone with a slicker feel. And if I can string up my ukes without 15 windings around the post because they keep stretchin', then I'm all for it. Here's hoping that the improvements are just that, and have no detrimental effect on the older Aquila magic we fans love.

Yeah these are the nyglut ones. For me, I am a beginner still so can't really tell the sound difference. But so far, it stays in tune faster. so I guess these are the newer ones. I don't know how anyone would tell the difference without opening the packaging first as its not labeled as such. Maybe head down to a store and ask for a swap.

...I liked the old Nylgut formula...

Amen, I didn't think they were broke so why fix um? One thing I DID notice that I didn't before is the the pickup on my new Eleuke pineapple really picks up the noise of my finger rubbing on the Aquila strings it came with though less noticable when playing. Maybe a set of new shiney smooth Aquilas would remedy this.

Top Bottom