I met a ukulele enthusiast at the Portland Airport yesterday

Ukedani

Reaction score
I was on my way home to Los Angeles and was in a gift shop at the airport in Portland Oregon. At the counter I see a lady with the unmistakable shape of a uke case. I look closer and see the words "Uke Crazy" on the flap. I can't resist so I ask "what kind of uke have you got there? It was a Kala, of course! A mango version, she said. We got to talking and I told her I just got my Kala Acacia about a week or so ago, my first. This was her second one. She was from Nevada and told me there were many uke groups popping up there. She even told me there was something akin to a "Ukulele Burning Man" festival. She asked me where I got my uke and I told her "oh a guy in Hawaii who sells a lot of ukuleles." I said, his name is . . ." and she said, "Music Guy Mic?" We laughed as we said his name in unison.

She was really nice and meeting her made me wish I had brought my new uke on my trip. I didn't have a chance to find out if she was a UU member or not, but if she is, perhaps she'll see this message.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a great uke moment on my travels. :D

That's cool! Thanks for sharing.
Is there a secret handshake or an ear wiggle or something that MGM customers can do to identify themselves?

That is pretty cool!! Too bad you didn't have your uke and started a mini jam in the airport!!

That is so cool! I spotted a lady walking through an airport with a uke once (she didn't even have it in a case, she was just carrying it) but she was going in the opposite direction so I didn't have a chance to talk to her.
After hearing stories of meeting other uke players here, I now scan for cases when I'm in airports or on buses. :D

She even told me there was something akin to a "Ukulele Burning Man" festival. S :D
How'd she find out about UWC?

(I have no clue what the Burning Man festival is like. I've only heard of it.)

Wow! I wonder if you met our las vegas ukulele meetup organizer! She is an older woman named Judy. She and I both have UkeCrazy cases for our ukes, and I know that she has a few kala ukuleles.

If it was her, wouldn't that be a small world? :D

Top Bottom