movable Barre chords

mangorockfish

Reaction score
Is there such a thing for ukes? Nothing came up in my search. If so, what are there shapes and how do they work? All comments are welcome. Thanks.

All chord shapes move. With only four strings they are easier than guitar.
Get Fretboard Roadmao by Beloff & Sokolow, great reference bood for all levels of players.

If you do want to get a book, I actually like Understanding Ukulele Chords by Robert van Renesse (on Amazon) better than Fretboard Roadmaps for this. It goes deeper into chords.

Jason

I love barre chords on the uke! The A shape and F shape give me all I need and I use them often.

Using a barre chord sometimes just works better for me in a song or even just to give a slightly different feel to a certain part of a song. Barred C G and A chords are some of my favorites to play.

If I see an F# chord in the music I always barre an F chord to play it. I haven't even bothered to check and see if there's another way to do it, it's so easy. Also, of course, C, C7, Am, and Am7 (obviously) shaped barre chords are fun and easy to play.

In case there's anyone who doesn't understand what is meant by a barre chord: to play a C# chord using a C barre chord shape you fret all the strings on the first fret by pressing them with the side of your index finger laid across them. Your index finger in now the new nut, so if you use your pinky or ring finger to fret the A string at the fourth fret, which is your new third fret, you have a C chord moved up one fret and thus becoming a C# chord. I hope that's as clear as very diluted mud.:confused:

If I see an F# chord in the music I always barre an F chord to play it. I haven't even bothered to check and see if there's another way to do it, it's so easy. Also, of course, C, C7, Am, and Am7 (obviously) shaped barre chords are fun and easy to play.

In case there's anyone who doesn't understand what is meant by a barre chord: to play a C# chord using a C barre chord shape you fret all the strings on the first fret by pressing them with the side of your index finger laid across them. Your index finger in now the new nut, so if you use your pinky or ring finger to fret the A string at the fourth fret, which is your new third fret, you have a C chord moved up one fret and thus becoming a C# chord. I hope that's as clear as very diluted mud.:confused:
Hey jungleturtle, thanks for the tip on the C shape. Makes perfect sense but I guess I had never considered it until now (although I guess it's what you're doing when you play an E chord barred at the 4th fret with pinky on A string 7th fret).

I barre C# a lot with the A shape (ring finger on G string 6th fret, middle on C string 5th, barre 4th fret), but I like the versatility of having different methods to play chords. Am shape I use a lot by lifting the middle finger from the A shape.

Nice, something new to mess with tonight! Mahalo!

Hey jungleturtle, thanks for the tip on the C shape. Makes perfect sense but I guess I had never considered it until now (although I guess it's what you're doing when you play an E chord barred at the 4th fret with pinky on A string 7th fret).

I barre C# a lot with the A shape (ring finger on G string 6th fret, middle on C string 5th, barre 4th fret), but I like the versatility of having different methods to play chords. Am shape I use a lot by lifting the middle finger from the A shape.

Nice, something new to mess with tonight! Mahalo!

Anytime. I just figured that this is the beginners' forum & there may be people here who don't know what is meant by a barre chord, so I wanted to elaborate a bit. If anyone has any diagrams of uke barre chords maybe they could post those as well.:D

Top Bottom