Converting a tenor banjo, into a banjo uke.

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Myself and a couple others on the forum have been discussing in detail banjos, and the feasibility of converting a tenor banjo into a banjo Uke. I wanted to create a separate thread about this because I have restored many banjos, and a actual vintage banjo (soprano sized) uke over the past few years. I have been wanting to take one of my tenor banjos, and string, and tune it as a banjo uke for some time, and have been inspired to go ahead and do it. I will keep you posted here about how it turns out.

The biggest concern is finding a ukulele string set long enough. My Gretsch tenor banjo is the one I am going to convert. It's scale, nut to tail piece is around 27". I will need strings around 33" or longer. 33" is going to be very close. I chose 33", because I have learned that Aquila baritone nylgut strings are 33" out of the package. I'm not sure they are quite long enough. It is going to be close. After they stretch, I think they will be fine, but getting them tied up is gonna be the challenge. Jasper Happy of the UK said that he will make me a set of strings, but is concerned about the volume due to the gauge of his strings. We will see how his work. I am also going to try some Worth fluorocarbon because per Corey at Elderly, they are 63" long. Worth does this to give you two sets in a pack, but in this project's case, will work as one set with quite a bit left over. So, strings are pretty much taken care of.

That said. The next challenge is going to be the tail piece of the banjo. They are designed for steel strings, and the way they terminate is not very nylon string friendly. They will be cut when put under tension I can almost guarentee it. I have an idea to remedy that, and will cover that in more detail with pictures as I do it. I think a full sized tenor banjo, will make a cool, mellow sounding Ukulele. Can't wait to play it. I will update as I go..

Jason Romero used to offer a "Romero Ring" tailpiece on his custom banjos, but after checking his site today, I don't find that option still listed. It was a steel ring, about an inch and a quarter in diameter. This obviously would eliminate any rough edges, but I'm not sure how he attached it to the rim. Another option might be to use a piece of leather. If you look at gourd banjos, which use gut/Nylgut strings, you'll see that tailpiece used almost exclusively. There are a number of people using Nylgut strings that just make sure meticulously file any rough spots on the tailpiece, but that seems like an expensive crap shoot to me. Try searching Banjo Hangout for discussions.

Looking forward to your progress...very intriguing!

~Michael

What I used on my actual bajo uke, was a filed down finishing nail. I tied the strings to it through the tailpiece holes and not to the string hooks that it normally used. It has worked so far. But I hadn't tried that on a tenor banjo yet.

I kinda like the leather idea used in the same way, and lining the tailpiece with leather as well to keep the strings from contact with any of the metal edges.

No, I'm not bidding on a tenor banjo for this very purpose... why do you ask? *grin*

Thanks for starting the thread, Tudorp! I got about 3 days left on the auction... three days to obsess and get more and more determined to try this and to talk myself into spending more than I can really afford on it if the bidding goes crazy... *ahem*... sorry... went into a fugue state for a sec, thinking about it.

I'm a rank beginner, but I'm not horrible with my hands. Keep us updated on your progress and I'll do the same on mine.

cool. Will do. Im interested in your project too.. PM me with your auction link, I would like to watch it. I promise not to bid, I don't need yet another one, lol..

Aloha Tudorp,
I gave it a thought on banjo ukes for some time, I guess it's on the back burner for now,
because i'm not sure if you can play it with ukulele chords. I seen Bill Tapia, that 102 year
young ukulele player say that when he started music career, he went to a group to ask
if could join and the leader said but we need a banjo player..and he faked it with ukulele
chords at the tryout and they said he did a wonderful job and was hired. Later he said
he learned the correct way with banjo chords. Is the banjo a higher sounding instrument??
Alos I remember a long time ago I had a ukulele and bought new strings but were too
short, so temporary I tied some dental floss at the end to extend it in the tuners so I could tighten it. But
it was so long ago, I don't remember how it sounded ...probally terrible..

I was thinking about trying to tie the string to a tiny nut to get it strung through the tailpiece and slip a small square of leather over the knot to keep the metal from cutting through.

I went back and read the threads on the other forums I found while searching...no one mentions the tail piece cutting the strings...but they don't say how they tied them on either.

This may be a dumb question, and I'm sorry...but the bridge is really high, so the action at the higher frets is really high...should I file the bridge I have, or buy a lower one? Also, should I file the grooves, or carefully file from the bottom and make sure I keep even pressure when doing it so it doesn't go crooked?

...you're the only person I know who plays with banjos.

Do a Google search for No-Knot tailpiece. They work fine with nylon strings. They're reasonably priced at around ten bucks and a lot of places sell them.

Jude

Tudorp:

Regarding strings -- Elderly has a variety of nylon strings for banjos. Call them and get the right ones for your tenor banjo scale length. Tune it like a baritone and you won't have to learn new fingerings (although you might like a banjo tuning too)

Tudorp:

Regarding strings -- Elderly has a variety of nylon strings for banjos. Call them and get the right ones for your tenor banjo scale length. Tune it like a baritone and you won't have to learn new fingerings (although you might like a banjo tuning too)

...you'd have to learn new fingerings if you play standard gCEA...

Sorry it took so long to reply. But the transformer blew up last night outside my house, and we have been with no power since early last night. We still don't have power, but I finanlly got my generator up. But not sure how long it will stay up. It;s hic uping.. lol.. Hopefully we will have power again by tonight.

I filed my bridge and nut to lower the action. But you don't want to take too much off because you will loose sustain, and volume if you get it too close to the headskin. Be sure to sand it even as well, that's pretty critical.

More later, I have some catch up to do.

Well,

I made a temporary saddle so the strings I have would reach. I have a few sets of Jasper Happy's strings. Looks like Jasper was right on his strings. The volume was way low, and had almost no sustain. But, it was a successful test anyway, because even though the strings were too slack, so I wasn't able to hold tune, but did long enough to play a few chords. It does seem the chords will work out just fine when we find the right strings to put on them. I have some Aquilas coming for a Baritone uke that might work out well. If not, we will move onto the Worth flourocarbon strings. So, test one failed, but at the same time was a success..

My Aquila baritone strings came. It took a little noodling (had to take the tail piece off to get the strings to wrap around the top tuners) and they fit, but BARELY. I took a strip of leather and punched 4 holes for the strings to go through so they rest on the leather and not the metal, I also put a small strip of leather on top of the strings so they don't rest right on the metal edge there. So far, it sounds good! I will have to do something with the bridge. From the looks of it I am going to have a lot of trouble playing anything above the 7th fret, but for now I just want to see if the strings work.

Pics will follow soon.

On my Harmony banjo Uke, I started out with a 1/2" bridge, and cut it WAY down to about half that before I got a decent action. The bridge for that one is now has the strings probably around 1/4" from the headskin. The sacrifice was a little bit of sustain, but there is still plenty for a banjo, and it is still plenty loud. Even with that, the strings are still a little higher the further you get away from the nut, but I think that is not so uncommon with banjos.

Depending on the banjo, and how much you want to do to it, but I think you might be able to adjust the neck a little bit higher to bring the frets up closer to your strings and not the strings to the frets. I haven't tried that yet, because it might require some cutting, and I am reluctant to do that, because it is more a permanent adjustment that can't be un-done. But, I have thought about it.

Last edited:
On my Harmony banjo Uke, I started out with a 1/2" bridge, and cut it WAY down to about half that before I got a decent action. The bridge for that one is now has the strings probably around 1/4" from the headskin. The sacrifice was a little bit of sustain, but there is still plenty for a banjo, and it is still plenty loud. Even with that, the strings are still a little higher the further you get away from the nut, but I think that is not so uncommon with banjos.

Depending on the banjo, and how much you want to do to it, but I think you might be able to adjust the neck a little bit higher to bring the frets up closer to your strings and not the strings to the frets. I haven't tried that yet, because it might require some cutting, and I am reluctant to do that, because it is more a permanent adjustment that can't be un-done. But, I have thought about it.

I'm way too chicken to attempt something like a neck move. I'll see what I can do with the bridge. I know it won't be as tight as a uke or guitar, but I just can't work with it like that.

I don't think the tension on the Aquilas is high enough for this project. Are Worths higher tension?

Hello Tudorp,

I've had a number of old banjos & banjo ukes (only one now). If you want high re-entrant tuning you can do the whole thing with Savarez KF flouros. You can buy them at 1 meter (should be good for the short scale tenor banjo) or 2 meters (if you have a plectrum). The brighter sound is usually better than Aquilas on a banjo. The thinner diameter means they will be a better fit for your tailpiece.

http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_62_147_602

If you need a suggestion on the gauges, let me know the pot diameter &/or scale "from nut to bridge". Also if you really want the high re-entrant or are looking for a linear tuning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom