How do the rosewood fretboards on Fleas and Flukes compare to the plastic?

Thumper

Reaction score
After a year of VERY heavy use, I'm starting to see some slight wear in a couple of the frets on my plastic-fretboard Flea. It's not causing any problems, but I could see how within the next year I may want to replace the fretboard.

The Magic Fluke Company warranty covers the replacement of the plastic fretboards, or for another 70-80 bucks, I could get a rosewood fretboard with conventional metal frets. The money's not a big deal, so I don't object to the upgrade.

But here's the thing. I freaking LOVE how the plastic fretboard feels. The action and intonation are perfect, and the edges of the frets are perfectly smooth. I find my Flea and Fluke more comfortable to play than other conventionally fretted necks I've played (Lanikai, Kala, Ibanez and Luna), some of which seem to have sharper edges. So I was curious how the "feel" of the more expensive fretboard compared with the plastic ones, as you slide your hand up and down the neck of the instrument.

I know some of our members have owned both types, so I'd appreciate any input. Since I play outdoors most of the time, in hot humid South Florida, I like how impervious the plastic fretboard is to heat and moisture. But most of all, if I upgrade my Flea, I want it to feel as good as my current setup.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited:
I am very happy with the rosewood upgrade on my surf flea. I first purchased a fluke with a plastic fretboard and play it often. I went with the upgrade on the flea and it is flawless. Smooth. Same low action. Very well made. I do not think you would be disappointed.
Regards,
Ray

Hi,

Yes I have upgreded my fela after about a year of use as well.

Like you I was worried about the playability and the spot on intonation.

Fear not. if anything I have noticed the Uke is even more playable and just as spot on all over the fretboard. The frets are dressed perfectly with the sides as smooth as they were before. PLUS now the frets are easy to see!

The only difference is with the upgrade is you will still have the polly bridge. I'm Not sure if that affects the sound any compared to the rosewood one on the ones built with the rosewood originally. , but I'm happy I did it regardless.

My Flea, my first Uke, is still my Go To Uke, as indestructible as ever, easy to play, and fun fun fun.

JT

I have a Flea with rosewood and a Fluke with plastic. No preference really. They both feel fine to me!

I also have a Flea with rosewood and a Fluke with plastic. I like the rosewood slightly better just because of the feel of it, but I don't have a big preference either. If I were to buy another one I wouldn't be bent on rosewood.

Top Bottom