Numbers 2 and 3 done!

funaddict

Reaction score
I finished Uke # 2, a 4 string tenor made from quilted maple, redwood, koa, and African Blackwood, and while waiting for the lacquer to cure, I decided to make a soprano for my 6 year old son. His name is Oakley, so I thought an oak uke would be perfect. Like my first two ukes, the soprano is made out of all salvaged material. The body is quartersawn white oak from a pallet, and the neck is white oak from some dunnage, probably a shipping crate at one time. The soprano is copied from an old kamaka keiki my mom has from 1964 when we first moved to Hawaii. She said she bought two of them at Longs Drugs in Honolulu for about $40 each. They go for about $500 now online, although I don't know why, other than collectibility. It is pretty loud, with a decent tone, but the intonation is complete garbage. You can get get it perfectly tuned and then anytime you fret a note, it's completely out of tune.

Thanks again for all the help!
Alan

Attachments

• IMGP1048..jpg
    IMGP1048..jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMGP1046..jpg
    IMGP1046..jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMGP1050..jpg
    IMGP1050..jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMGP1055..jpg
    IMGP1055..jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMGP1059..jpg
    IMGP1059..jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 72
More pics (I guess you're limited to a certain number per post?)

Oakley's Oakulele has a pheasantwood fretboard.

Attachments

• IMGP1056..jpg
    IMGP1056..jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMGP1058..jpg
    IMGP1058..jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP1049..jpg
    IMGP1049..jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
WOW! Very, very classy looking beauty. I even like the abalone touches. Looking forward to more pics and sound samples.
Again, nicely done! WOW...

Sweet. I like your inlay work.
Nice score on the oak....nothing better than turning junk wood into something nice. The intonation is bad on the oak soprano you made or the kamaka?? I hope you can correct it. It looks too nice not to play well

Wow those are beautiful! After seeing your last uke(and now these ones...) I always check out pallets and other scrap wood I see laying around town :) No good finds as of yet though! Nice work man

Very nice,

thanks for sharing. I like the Soprano Oakulele very much!

Any sound samples?

Keep uke'in',

Top Bottom