PDA

View Full Version : 5/6 String mod questions (Grizzly kit)

Oneslypig
06-24-2010, 08:45 AM
So, on a scale of 1 to absolutely effing terrible, how bad of an idea would it be to add a 5th and/or 5th and 6th string to my Grizzly kit? I am thinking of using dowels for the neck to strengthen it a little bit, but am not sure if that's the primary issue. Neck too narrow, bridge adjustments(obviously aware that I'll have to drill extra holes.)? Any pitfalls that I'm not foreseeing?

Bradford
06-24-2010, 09:36 AM
If you are going to reinforce the neck, I would use carbon fiber rods, but it is probably not necessary. If you are planning to pair up the strings, the neck width may be OK, otherwise you need a wider neck.

Brad

Oneslypig
06-24-2010, 10:41 AM
I was planning on pairing up the strings. My main concern was whether having the dowels would offer enough additional neck strength to support the extra strings. It'll probably be a while before I make too much headway on it as I currently only have 1 day a week to spend any time on it.

fahrner
06-24-2010, 10:55 AM
For a soprano, the accumulative string tension is just a little over twenty pounds. Adding two strings or roughly half again the tension is still only thirty+ pounds. If your neck joint and bridge joint are good you'll probably be fine.

Dusepo
06-24-2010, 11:44 AM
I have added up to 7 strings onto a noted kit that is very similar if not identical to the grizzly kits. Should be no problem at all.