Is it allowed?

Michael N.

Reaction score
6 string Uke, Guitalele, Soprano Guitar - call it what you will. 500mm string length, about the size of a Baritone Uke. Spruce top, Ind. Rosewood Back/Sides. Walnut Fretboard and bridge. All off cuts from Geetar making activities.
Fun build it was too.

uke2.jpg

Uke3.jpg

Doesn't matter. It's beautiful.
A closeup of the bridge would be nice. Can't tell if it's a soundboard inlay or a very unique bridge design. Either way, it's very attractive.
Love the baritone scale. What does it sound like?
Very nice indeed. Love the idea of making stuff from off cuts.

Not an inlay. Many aspects of the instrument are heavily influenced by French Romantic Guitars of the 19 th century. The bridge being no exception. The body shape is more in line with modern Classical Guitars though.

uke4.jpg

Wow. Very, very nice.
Still curious about the sound though.
I have a couple of baritone ukes that sound similar to my classical guitars except smaller and not as plunky as my tenor ukes. Make sense?
Also, what is the width at the nut?
I really like that bridge.

Nut width is 48mm. At the moment it's tuned to G - precisely the same as placing a Capo on the 3rd fret of a standard tuned Guitar. Originally I intended to tune it up to A and that certainly remains an option.
I've tried a few string sets on it. First off were some Pro-Arte classical guitar EJ45's. Wound strings were far too bright. brash and overpowering. Then I switched to Aquila Silk and Gut, the wound strings sounded too flat and lifeless. Neither did I like the Aquila Nylgut plain.
At the moment it has a combination of Aquila copper Nylgut wound and Nylon pro arte trebles. Seems to give the best balance.
No, not as 'plunky' as a tenor Uke but there is certainly an element of that, although I'd say the tone is more rounded. Hardly surprising given the longer string length and body size.

If it makes great sounding music...Thats all that matters.
I always think of this poem, when I see any instrument that looks different, or even old and scratched and beat up.
http://gbgm-umc.org/disc/poems/mastershand.stm It's a great looking job tho' I like to have a go on it.:cool:

Last edited:
That is awesome! Just like a renaissance guitar!

Really looks nice! You made it from cut-offs? I want to go though your cut-off bin!!

Top Bottom