Noob Strumming Question

JohnnyRockers

Reaction score
Hey guys! Just started getting into playing the Ukulele and I have a noob question already lol.

For some reason, as I strum (with the index finger), often times the side of my finger (the meat) will contact the strings instead of my nail. Not to sound pansy or anything, but is not exactly the most comfortable feeling (lol) and am just wondering is there some sort of tip or trick anyone has that can help me strum more correctly (with just nail contact on downstroke, I'm assuming).

Or perhaps I should use a pick?

Sorry if this is a dumb, noobish question, but just thought I would ask anyways haha. Thx guys.

Its not a stupid question. You will learn pretty fast what kind of strumming hurts. Pain aversion learning is unforgiving, and effective.

If it's too painful then try a felt pick or plectrum. I use a nice light one as it's great for solo work as well as general strumming. As always though, there's no gain without pain!

I have an acrylic fingernail on my index finger and it works well and doesn't hurt to strum up. They are about 5 dollars for one finger and it beats holding a pick

Hey guys! Just started getting into playing the Ukulele and I have a noob question already lol.

For some reason, as I strum (with the index finger), often times the side of my finger (the meat) will contact the strings instead of my nail. Not to sound pansy or anything, but is not exactly the most comfortable feeling (lol) and am just wondering is there some sort of tip or trick anyone has that can help me strum more correctly (with just nail contact on downstroke, I'm assuming).

Or perhaps I should use a pick?

Sorry if this is a dumb, noobish question, but just thought I would ask anyways haha. Thx guys.

I don't think there is a "correct" way to strum. Strum in a manner what works for you. Sometimes you just need to build callouses up on the fingers that are being used to play an instrument.

Keep at it, maybe back down on the intensity of your strum a bit. The ever apparent proverbial "crawl walk run" applies here. Learn to strum comfortably at a slower pace and step it up as you progress. And remember, there's no "one" way to strum, and there's no "one" way to hold a pick. Just strum away and eventually it will be second nature to ya.

It will be a bit uncomfortable in the beginning, keep playing through it and soon enough your finger will callous.

For picking I grow my own nails, it's more environmentally friendly.

What about weak nails ?
I'm always breaking my owns :s
please don't say to not strum like a troll ! :D
do you have any tips to enforce the nails ? is there any polish which gonna get my nails tough ?

take care

What about weak nails ?
I'm always breaking my owns :s
please don't say to not strum like a troll ! :D
do you have any tips to enforce the nails ? is there any polish which gonna get my nails tough ?

take care

Vitamin D enriched nail polish. There's many brands of this stuff.

I've already gotten into the bad habit of strumming with my thumb. It's a pain in the butt, because I've just figured out how to do the fan strum thing, and it can be difficult getting to it. Whatever you do, try not to get into a bad habit. Trying to break it is hard as all heck. Keep on at it.

Top Bottom