Any inmates have Skype and play Low G tuning?

oldrookie

Reaction score
I just put a Fremont Low G on my Stagg uke. Got the low G from MGM (3 days from Hawaii to IN--pretty good!) but it sounds really off to me.

Never played a low g tuned uke and want to make sure I am not wrong in thinking this doesn't sound good.

Anyone have Skype and willing to give it a listen at some point?

Last edited:
I don't know any inmates that have both skype and low G tuning.

Must be a nice facility!

I use low G floro on my soprano size and it sounds great. Have not tried a wound one yet.

This has sparked an idea.

I'm not sure how appropriate it is for on here, seeing as they've just started UUniversity... (UUU?) and, if it's not appropriate, mods, please spank me for it, but Skype or iChat or something like that... a video chat, really, would be a wonderful resource for beginners. I know having a vid chat with a more experienced player critiquing and giving pointers would help my playing immensely. I'm getting better at the strumming, but I'm sure that I'm getting bad habits and things are still... wonky.

Would there be any interest in that? Is it something worth creating a new thread for?

signed up for tokbox. Very cool. Uuminijams looks like it could do what Uncle Elvis is talking about.

Let me know what time would work to give it a listne rzr.

Starting to get used to it, so maybe there isn't anything wrong. Just sounded so different (and not in a good way) that I thought something was wrong.

I know the lower tension really makes it easy to bend the string. Pretty easy to take it out of intonation. May have to adapt my playing style some to account for that attribute.

Last edited:
signed up for tokbox. Very cool. Uuminijams looks like it could do what Uncle Elvis is talking about.

Starting to get used to it, so maybe there isn't anything wrong. Just sounded so different (and not in a good way) that I thought something was wrong.

I know the lower tension really makes it easy to bend the string. Pretty easy to take it out of intonation. May have to adapt my playing style some to account for that attribute.

Oldrookie.... If you'll remember back to UWC, my wine-red K-Wave Tele uke was tuned low G. It is strung with Aquilla strings, so the G is wound. Do you remember bassukuguy playing it through the little Honey Tone amp? Did that sound "off" to you, also?

I don't know any inmates that have both skype and low G tuning.

Must be a nice facility!

I was just thinking that. Although, ukuleles would be pretty nice for inmates to have. Would keep them busy in a constructive way.

I just put a Fremont Low G on my Stagg uke. Got the low G from MMM (3 days from Hawaii to IN--pretty good!) but it sounds really off to me.

Never played a low g tuned uke and want to make sure I am not wrong in thinking this doesn't sound good.

Anyone have Skype and willing to give it a listen at some point?

I don't have Skype, but when I first put low g on a uke I also didn't think it sounded good. I think it takes some time to grow on some people. I enjoy it on some songs and on others it still sounds wrong, but I believe it is in the eye of the beholder.

After more testing... this string won't intonate correctly. If I tune the string to G every fretted note is sharp. If I tune the string flat all fretted notes are in tune.

The original string intonated properly.

Any thoughts?

Two thoughts spring to mind,from other threads that have cropped up from
time to time.Is the NUT slot wide enough for the wider G string? If it is binding
in there as you tune,it can shift while playing,as your fingering alters the tension
on the string.A touch of pencil lead (graphite) rubbed in there usually cures that
problem! Use the 'lead' from a propelling pencil if you have one,and move it back
and forth in the slot. The other chance,is that maybe you have a bad or rogue
string? Try a different string if you have a spare! I always use plain (non-wound)
C strings from a set of Aquilas (I use aquila strings anyway so it matches!).
But then,I use the re-entrant (high G) set,as low G anyway!
To do this I just remove the (high) G string,shift the C into the G position and
tune it LOW G,shift the E into the C position and tune it to regular C,then fit the
High G I took off,in the E string position and tune it to E. Iz used this method and
I like it.Others find the strings 'too slack' or lose volume.I don't have either problem!

Interesting ideas. I'll give both a try.

Had read the switching the string around might help, but no joy there.

Thanks for the help.

I know the lower tension really makes it easy to bend the string. Pretty easy to take it out of intonation. May have to adapt my playing style some to account for that attribute.[/QUOTE
Have you noticed that with the low tension the string resonates better?

My thanks to the UUjammers this evening. Appreciate your help with the low g issue.

"Have you noticed that with the low tension the string resonates better?"

Not sure I have noticed it, to be honest. Been very concerned that it didn't sound right, but the UUjam group assures me it it good to go.

Top Bottom