Just Got a Fender Pa'ina...Mixed Feelings

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just purchased a Fender Pa'ina from another forum member and although I like the tone it offers, I feel a bit uncomfortable with the purchase.

Here are a few of the descriptions of the 'uke from the seller both in the Classifieds, PM's, and email...

"...Fender Pa'ini ...in superb condition, I treat my instrument like newborn babies.

There is nothing wrong with these uke's I just don't play them enough. All my instruments are babied to the fullest, I believe you won't find a nicer used uke around.

...no issues...

Everythig is in tip top shape."

Here is what I received...

The 'uke is stamped "USED", a factory second or blem...never mentioned in ad or correspondence.

Used.jpg

Big ding in headstock. It looks like the remnants oh having it hang over the edge of something when they hammered "USED" on the other side.

NonTunerDing.jpg

One of a few other dings on the headstock...I'll only post the one.

TunerDing.jpg

The light line you see there is the top of the side wood showing because the top doesn't fit on the sides right...there's an actual lip on the lower right bout where the top is too small for the rest of the 'uke.

TopSidesNoFit.jpg

I do a fair amount of selling on Ebay and would never describe an instrument that is stamped "USED" and has issues as superb, babied, nothing wrong, no issues, and tip top shape. I'll keep the 'uke because it is playable and sounds good. I won't however ever purchase another 'uke from this seller.

Is it just me, or would you be surprised to find these issues too after the description that was given?

I almost jumped on that purchase...sorry you didn't get what you were expecting. And I agree, that surprises me after the description.

I just purchased a Fender Pa'ina from another forum member and although I like the tone it offers, I feel a bit uncomfortable with the purchase.

Here are a few of the descriptions of the 'uke from the seller both in the Classifieds, PM's, and email...

"...Fender Pa'ini ...in superb condition, I treat my instrument like newborn babies.

There is nothing wrong with these uke's I just don't play them enough. All my instruments are babied to the fullest, I believe you won't find a nicer used uke around.

...no issues...

Everythig is in tip top shape."

Here is what I received...

The 'uke is stamped "USED", a factory second or blem...never mentioned in ad or correspondence.

Used.jpg

Big ding in headstock. It looks like the remnants oh having it hang over the edge of something when they hammered "USED" on the other side.

NonTunerDing.jpg

One of a few other dings on the headstock...I'll only post the one.

TunerDing.jpg

The light line you see there is the top of the side wood showing because the top doesn't fit on the sides right...there's an actual lip on the lower right bout where the top is too small for the rest of the 'uke.

TopSidesNoFit.jpg

I do a fair amount of selling on Ebay and would never describe an instrument that is stamped "USED" and has issues as superb, babied, nothing wrong, no issues, and tip top shape. I'll keep the 'uke because it is playable and sounds good. I won't however ever purchase another 'uke from this seller.

Is it just me, or would you be surprised to find these issues too after the description that was given?

I's say the seller was dishonest with you, but I guess you can't beat a friend of mine's e-bay
purchase...He showed me the ukulele and I was absoultely blown away....It was an 60's
custom Kamaka tenor tthat the seller said was in good condition so he purchased it.. when it
arrived he said he noticed that one of the lower inner supports going right through the sides.
He said there was no mention of this to prior communication...buyer beware, when buying
sight unseen....

It is of course your call, but I would communicate with the seller and either A) ask for a full refund and send it back (refund to include shipping both ways) or B) ask for a discount from what you paid. To keep it just means the seller won - and the scam worked. I looked at that ebay ad for the "luthier repair" special - it really looks just like that. Either the seller is buying these damaged seconds and using UU as a way to scam our community, or legitimately just wanted to sell his (factory second) uke, but told some lies in doing so...

Looks like a factory return that was sold at a discount as a second (probably due to the top not fitting). I would not be a happy camper unless it was at least 50% off. But then again I wouldn't knowingly purchase a defective 'ukulele. I agree the seller was less than honest in description.

That's really unfortunate. As others have mentioned, if you still want to keep the uke, I'd definitely communicate with the seller about getting a partial refund.

That's quite disappointing. I was interested in this seller's wares too, especially since he's local to me.
Let us know what happens when you correspond with him.

But you know...it's a used uke. How does it play? I've picked up all of the Fender varieties and found them to be very playable. They also draw a crowd because of the unique headstock shape.

Buyer's remorse is a very common thing. If it's going to piss you off every time you pick it up, do what you can to get a refund. But if you can stand aside and remove emotion from the argument, maybe it ain't such a bad uke afterall.

Bottom line, what did you want this particular instrument to do? Does it do it?

Hmmm... I came "this close" to purchasing that same Fender only about a week ago. Had a few emails back and forth with the seller. The only reason that I did not buy it is that I couldn't get a hold of him for a couple days, and ended up buying something else on Ebay.

He seemed like a real straight-shooter in discussions... and there was never any indication that anything was amiss with the uke itself. In fact, I even specified that "Uke to be in excellent used condition (no deep scratches, no dents, chips or cracks, working electronics, attractive and playable 'as is')" Quote is taken directly from my email message of June 15, 2010.

This was not responded to because it was at that point that we lost contact, and my next message was my message appologizing for buying elsewhere because I had not heard back from him.

I am always amazed when a seller is willing to destroy their reputation and chances of selling in said location again, for a relatively low amount of money.

Isn't it time to "name and shame" the unscrupulous seller?

I could be wrong but check out the Market Place forum, I think it has some of the history of this transaction.

But you know...it's a used uke. How does it play? I've picked up all of the Fender varieties and found them to be very playable. They also draw a crowd because of the unique headstock shape.

Buyer's remorse is a very common thing. If it's going to piss you off every time you pick it up, do what you can to get a refund. But if you can stand aside and remove emotion from the argument, maybe it ain't such a bad uke afterall.

Bottom line, what did you want this particular instrument to do? Does it do it?

I agree, yeah. I looked at the ad in question, and I would agree that it is not what it said it should have been. However, like Harold O said, see if you can still enjoy it.
That really sucks, sorry to hear about the unfortunate situation.

The thread in question is still there. Search for "Fender Pa'ini" and you'll find it. (the uke is called Pa'ina, but the seller misspelled it as Pa'ini).

You'll also find that the seller only has 8 posts on UU. Six are on the Marketplace with stuff to sell, the other two are "where can I buy _____?" type posts.

Not what I'd call an active member of our community.

So sorry to hear about a purchase gone wrong like that, Kevin.

If I were you, I would dispute it with the credit card company and send it back to the return address on the package

Although I'm very disappointed with the seller for his less than honest approach to selling this 'uke, I'm not going to call him out by name in here.

I don't mind a few flaws if I know they're there. That kind of thing happens, but when there's no mention of them and discourse to the contrary, it was a bit of a shock to find them when the instrument arrived. Had he mentioned the dings and "USED" stamp, I probably would have still bought it at the price he was asking. Had he mentioned the top not fitting correctly, I may or may not have willingly paid the asking price. My beef is with the deception.

As it turns out, it's a great playing and sounding 'uke. As long as the uneven fit doesn't cause a problem in the future by separating or anything all will be fine. If I didn't like the tone and feel of the neck so much, I'd send it back. But as someone else mentioned, it fits the need that I ordered it for. I wanted a backup since my primary instrument in my band is the 'ukulele and if something had happened to my only tenor with a pickup, that wouldn't be good. This one feels good, sounds good, and has a pickup...it meets my needs for a backup.

I installed a strap button, and will dress/polish the frets, lower the saddle a little, oil the fretboard, and she's good to go.

Thanks to all who weighed in on the matter. Your input helped me to see it from other perspectives and make a final decision on what to do with it.

Well, personally, I am on the fence. You bought a "Used" uke, so why would you be upset it is stamped used? When you buy a used instrument, you need to be under the impression it has been used, and played, therefore shows signs of use, maybe even some scrapes and bruises. Abuse, no, but scraps from use, yes.

That said, yes, I think he/she was a little deceptive by saying it was perfect. That should have been a flag anyway, because anything considered used, needs to be assumed it isn't "perfect". If it is, that is a bonus, but never assume it. And who don't take a steel stamp and hammer it into new born babie's forehead lol.. ? If it was a factory return at some point, it can not legally be sold as new, and the factory may have stamped it like that as a policy to assure it isn't sold as a new instrument. I couldn't imagine a dealer, or shop would do that. That sounds more like a factory thing. I think the guy maybe should have mentioned that it had that stamp in it though, that would annoy me some. But, if it is in top playable condition, sounds and plays like you were looking for, just enjoy it, and play the hell out of it. You got it with stories in it's closet, and now it has even more charictor. But that's just me.

Top Bottom