Article: Interview with Ukulele Collector Andy Roth

An impressive collection, and I'm really glad that he is doing the research on the instruments. The really early ones by luthiers like Nunes need poeple like him to protect them.

I do worry a little bit about the collecting thing as a whole though because solid wood instruments tend to thrive as daily players. Ahhhh, just bein a bit of an old fuddy duddy I guess.

cool artical.

Interesting, indeed. Thank you, Alan.

He lived in Hawai'i and never saw anyone playing 'Ukulele? Where did he live on a military base? There was one good music store in Hawai'i at the time? He should have asked some locals to point him in the right direction. Sheesh. He doesn't like Hawaiian made 'ukuleles, to each his own.

He owns 110 ukes!
/new goal

My wife will be reminded of this fact whenever necessary.

BTW, reading the article indicates that he actually owns well over 110
If I’m going to play music, I’ll just as often reach for a guitar or sit at the piano, but I do have a wonderful display case where I keep about 110 of these instruments. I also have a half-dozen ukuleles around the house that me and my wife or one of my girls will play. All of the other instruments are rare and unusual.

Last edited:
Hmm. Sounds like Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome may be too mild a diagnosis for what ails him. Perhaps he has Ukulele dependence/addiction issues? :)

"In 1879, when the second boatload of Portuguese immigrants ever to come to Hawaii arrived, three guys on that boat knew how to make and play the machete"

......what? SO confused now...

"In 1879, when the second boatload of Portuguese immigrants ever to come to Hawaii arrived, three guys on that boat knew how to make and play the machete"

......what? SO confused now...

Machete aka Braguinha ('ukulele's grampa), but machete also the name of the large knife used for harvesting sugar cane aka cane knife, bolo knife.

This just has me wanting to track down a Martin Style 1 even MORE.

Top Bottom