Are ukuleles female?

cletus

Reaction score
I'm still kinda new, but it seems that most people, especially the ones that give their ukes names, refer to ukuleles as females. "She is beautiful" and "I can't wait to play her" are comments that turn up constantly.

So,does anybody have a male identified ukulele?

All my 'ukuleles are, as well as my boats. ;)

I have Marty, my Martin OXK that I have for review. but I tend to have female names for them. it is the curves that make it seem female, atleast that is what I think.

My Ohana is a little fella, as I see him as a sort of cheeky li'l guy. (I've dubbed him "Harrison"! :D) My soprano's got "femme fatale" written all over 'er (she looks sweet, but she growls something awful), and my tenor is also male (and rather debonair, although he lacks substance).

So there you go. I took a non-traditional route.

my pineapple's a boy (probably due to the curves), but my Makala MK-C is much more feminine.

My Oscar Schmidt is a boy because I *so* very creatively dubbed him Oscar.
My other ukes, I think are a bit more girly. I dunno, they don't have names (yet), so it's hard to say. Most ukes seem feminine to me, not sure why.

strangely enough, all of mine are female too LOL

Marisa, Reimu, Sakuya, Reisen, Suika.... lol

It'll be interesting if anyone can identify where I'm getting the names from :)

strangely enough, all of mine are female too LOL

Marisa, Reimu, Sakuya, Reisen, Suika.... lol

It'll be interesting if anyone can identify where I'm getting the names from :)

Touhou Project!

teehee :3

I've always referred to my ukes as females....Most of their names stolen from kunoichi in Naruto.........

I'm a nerd. Yes. Or am I a dork? one of those

Last edited:
I have both.
IZ: boy,
Ku'u poki'i: Girl,
Cinderella: Girl,
Bango: Boy,
Jed: Boy, (altho techically it is a banjo, but soon to be converted to a Uke)

I have to be careful, because "Bango" has been eyeballing the new girl "Ku`u poki`i" so I have to keep them in separate rooms. I don't really want a litter of little Ukes running around the house right now. Maybe when Ku`u poki`is a little older.

My Mahalo, McKenzie, is a boy because he's named after a boy ;)

My Kala was a girl for a long time, simply because I couldn't think of a good name and Kala is a girl's name. Now he's a post-op called Sione :music:

Touhou Project!

I've always referred to my ukes as females....Most of their names stolen from kunoichi in Naruto.........

Wow, Touhou got identified here sooner than I thought!
Touhou <3 <3

Sorry, but all my ukuleles are ukuleles and have no names.

Touhou Project!

Which names, might I ask?

Mine are boys... Maybe one will be a girl if it looks like a girl to me... But so far all are boys. I like coming up with boy names the best so that might have something to do with it.

hey Mim, I've been trying to access Mims Uke website all day, but have been failing.
Is the site down?

Ukes are female...you have to treat them right and stroke and caress them, and they will treat you to such melody!!!!

I have both.

I have to be careful, because "Bango" has been eyeballing the new girl "Ku`u poki`i" so I have to keep them in separate rooms. I don't really want a litter of little Ukes running around the house right now. Maybe when Ku`u poki`is a little older.

I would LOVE to have a littler of little ukes running around the house! :D

I had an online friend who parked a "boy" Suzuki SV650 next to his "girl" GS500, and we were hoping for pocket bikes.

If I stick my boy CBU concert in the closet with my fave girl soprano (an Ohana Vita) maybe I will get a fat little pineapple super soprano... yay!

If I stick my boy CBU concert in the closet with my fave girl soprano (an Ohana Vita) maybe I will get a fat little pineapple super soprano... yay!

Not so sure about that. If your CBU Concert is "in the closet", he may very well not be much interested in your fave girl sprano. Just sayin.. .<grin>

Top Bottom