opening up?

iDavid

Reaction score
How long does it take for a uke to completely open-up.

Seems my Mainland Mahogany tenor is still the progress. It is great louder and more sensitive to dynamics.

My KoAloha Koa Concert, seemed pretty open and LOUD to begin with, but seems to be getting warmer.

Is this the way or the uke, or am I "hearing things"

Depends on humidity, how often played (more the quicker), what type wood, how old wood is, etc.
Each 'ukulele is an in individual so YMMV. We're talking solid wood 'ukuleles the laminates as a rule being pretty stable and set. ;)

Never thought about the age of the wood before it became a uke. I guess some companies age the wood longe than others. Any idea is Mahogany taked longer to open up than Koa, all other things being equal.

Depends on humidity, how often played (more the quicker), what type wood, how old wood is, etc.
Each 'ukulele is an in individual so YMMV. We're talking solid wood 'ukuleles the laminates as a rule being pretty stable and set. ;)

I second you on this.
I have had a Bushman Jenny for 2 years. It seems that it has been stable for 6 months. After 2 months I only noticed slight chnages in volume, and that has to do with humidity (I like to keep my house between 45- 50% but summer kicks it to 55% and winter tries to take it down to 35%)
Age and drying techniques also make a difference prior to the uke being built. Some of the best instruments are ones that are made from really old wood, like from a church bench or something.
I have read that the compass rose ukes are strummed 1 million times in some kind of machine to help open them up. (I might be crazy on that, but I remember hearing it) so playing is also key.
Thats my 2 cents

The opening process is a much debated topic among guitar players too.
There are many factors involved and I truly believe the wood goes through some changes as an instrument is played.
I bought a new to me KoAloha that was basically unplayed. It was about a year old when I got it and it sounded new.
I played it almost exclusively for a year as it was my favorite. I noticed it changing significantly as I played it and it opened up.
I believe the factor many of us forget is we the player. As we play an instrument we find its little quirks and learn to get the most out of it.
So to answer your question as too how long?, each ukulele is different. Your mahogany is probably never going to have the crispness of a koa,
that is just a difference in the woods. Some like the mahogany sound, some koa. One reason (excuse) we have many ukuleles.

How long does it take for a uke to completely open-up.

Seems my Mainland Mahogany tenor is still the progress. It is great louder and more sensitive to dynamics.

My KoAloha Koa Concert, seemed pretty open and LOUD to begin with, but seems to be getting warmer.

Is this the way or the uke, or am I "hearing things"

This month Acoustic Guitar Magazine has a decent article titled "Why Your Guitar Improves With Age."

You also have to remember you have no idea how long the Uke sat in a warehouse or on the store shelf before you got it. When I bought an MP custom, I had it in my hands literally less than a week after it was completed, it felt really weird. It took probably about a year until it settled.

In my experience, solid wood ukuleles definitely open up over time.

I've had a Kiwaya soprano for 2 1/4 years now - I know it's hard to compare when you have no recordings - but I feel that it's a different instrument now than when it was new. The change in sound was most noticeable in the first months. One friend remarked that he didn't think much of it, when he first heard it, but after a few months he would make jealous comments. I also observed improvements in sound on my Ohana baritone (2 yrs old). When it was new, it sounded OK, but a bit "dead", now it's much more "alive".

I know that this is no "scientific" proof, and that you can talk yourself into believing what you would like to believe. But I've had no opinion on this before I noticed these changes. And normally, when I buy things I'm enthusiastic about them when they're new and then gradually lose interest in them. With these ukes it's the other way 'round.

The Mainland is definitely opening up. The tone and volume have changed a great deal. It still is not in the same class as the KoAhola but it is gaining ground. I just wonder how much"better" will it get.

The difference in tone, could be the wood and I am sure that the build makes the biggest difference.

I am debating on gettng a more expensive tenor, but not sure I "need" it.

The problem I am having, is... I HAVE NEVER PLAYED A UKE THAT I DIDN'T ALREADY OWN....

Top Bottom