PDA

View Full Version : Steps

KLP
06-26-2010, 05:02 AM
Hey guys,

Played guitar for the last 6months,(had lessons for years but never played at home), or so religiously, loved the sound of the uke so bought a Makala MK-C on Wednesday and am loving it. Adjusted to it and strings are now settled in nicely, no more tuning up every few minutes heh. Now when I pick up my guitar I can't get over how damn big it is.

Anywayy, despite the Uke taking up hours and hours of my day, I'm a bit confused. I never really got into the theory side of things.

I'm playing around with Imagine by John Lennon, and there's two different versions I've found. One is C/CMaj7/C etc, the other is G/Gmaj7/C etc.

Are they just different steps, or are the chords wrong on one?

Tbh, I love both sets of chords so I'm not fussed, it just intrigued me.

Thanks! :)

Kanaka916
06-26-2010, 05:17 AM
They're just in different keys mainly to accommodate the vocals.

KLP
06-26-2010, 06:48 AM
Ahh great thank you:)

Ukulele JJ
06-26-2010, 12:03 PM
For the record (so to speak), John Lennon recorded it in the key of C.

JJ

KLP
06-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Great thank you! :) I preferred the C version.

One more thing, if I may. I swear the uke doesn't sound as good anymore, even though I've only had it for what, 4days? Is it worth buying some new strings?

Bipolar Joe
06-27-2010, 11:29 AM
That depends. Are they tuned right? It could be that the ukulele was sitting there in the shop for ages, and the strings got all screwed up and warped / stretched out. Mine came with Aquilas, and lasted a good three weeks before I broke one of them. If you don't have new ones sitting around, get a couple of packs. I always have spares sitting around, just in case. You never now when a string is gonna whip you in the face.

KLP
06-27-2010, 12:56 PM
They should be - I use an electronic tuner, well, an app on my phone and it woks pretty well. I tune it up every 5minutes, heh, and when the strings are played individually, by ear they're fine, it's just when they're played together.. Also do the checks from the E string. But it just doesn't sound...right. Just played around with it now and it's like there's a flat note for some reason, like a drone. Playing a C, it's less noticable with say an Em, but it's still there. I swear it wasn't there a few days ago.

The strings have settled down and keep their tuning for longer, so I assume they've finished the majority of the stretching.

I'll buy a couple of Aquila's off eBay and hope it sorts out the problem, heh.

spookefoote
07-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey guys,

Played guitar for the last 6months,(had lessons for years but never played at home), or so religiously, loved the sound of the uke so bought a Makala MK-C on Wednesday and am loving it. Adjusted to it and strings are now settled in nicely, no more tuning up every few minutes heh. Now when I pick up my guitar I can't get over how damn big it is.

Anywayy, despite the Uke taking up hours and hours of my day, I'm a bit confused. I never really got into the theory side of things.

I'm playing around with Imagine by John Lennon, and there's two different versions I've found. One is C/CMaj7/C etc, the other is G/Gmaj7/C etc.

Are they just different steps, or are the chords wrong on one?

Tbh, I love both sets of chords so I'm not fussed, it just intrigued me.

Thanks! :)

John definately did it in the key of C