Loudest Tenor?

iDavid

Reaction score
Who makes the loudest tenor?

I need a LOUD tenor for family sing-a-longs.

and don't want to use an amp... thank ya very much ;)

Get an 8 string. Those are really loud.

The tenor should be louder because of the scale length (longer strings) and the extra body size.
My super concert is louder than most concerts.
If you are not using Aquila strings, you might try them, they are some of the louder strings.
I have a tenor resonator that is loud and cuts through even guitar & bluegrass jams.

If the Koalohas are too pricey for you, Fleas and Flukes have a reputation for volume, especially with Aquila strings.

The Ohana Vita uke with Aquilas is also quite loud.
I don't know how it compares to the other loud ukes mentioned here though.

I'd use an amp :p
Les Paul's motivation to build the electric guitar came when a passer-by commented that his guitar was not loud enough :)

Last edited:
I'll chime in...my Sceptre is the loudest of all the ukes I own. On the lower end of the price spectrum, my Ohana TK-50G is very loud. I think it's the combination of cedar top/rosewood body and high g Aquila strings. I play Bluegrass with the Ohana and it's a banjo killer ;) The Sceptre is louder but the Ohana's tone fits Bluegrass better.

And yes, a standard KoAloha tenor strung with Aquilas would probably do as well. I have Worth low g BT's on the standard tenor and I've had people ask me how I get so much sound out of such a small guitar ...hehehe. You should see their faces when I tell them it's an ukulele. The Kala concert is pretty loud for a concert and again, it's strung with high g Aquilas. I think any uke gets louder when strung with Aquilas. Your mileage may vary.

Anyway, I have 4 ukes that I would do a small venue, all acoustic gig with and 3 of them are KoAlohas.

Last edited:
A 6 or 8 string would work well for sing along accompaniment and they can be very loud.

I know what you mean about playing through an amp. First of all you have to drag the amp or pa gear and then you have to dial up a descent sound. I have a Kala F-hole tenor and am disappointed with the plugged in sound. I heard Kurt Sheller play his Ko'olau with an LR Baggs Element pick up and a acoustic DI pedal last night and it sounded marvelous. Gordon Velasco was playing his KoAloha thin profile tenor with a MiSi pickup (I think he was using a DI pedal as well) and it sounded really sweet. My new SB fluke has B-Band electronics and sounds so much better than the shadow pickup IMHO. Good luck with your decision.

Regards,
Ray

I'll second amplification. It will probably be the cheaper route for you. You can get a decent uke with a pickup and a microcube amplifier for 1/3 what a tenor Koaloha will run you.

I do not want an amp, nor am I looking for the cheapest option. I was thinking of a KoAloha, Mya-Moe, MP, LoPinzi, or Collings.

My KoAloha Conert is stellar, but I wouldn't mind trying out another brand. I am planning to go to the Mya-Moe shop next month while I am in Washingtonstate. Can't wait!

Last edited:
I think for loudest, it shoud be probably a Koaloha tenor....that's if you really need that it be very loud. As for me, with time I prefer a more hi-fi and refined sound rather than a loud uke!!

I think for loudest, it shoud be probably a Koaloha tenor....that's if you really need that it be very loud. As for me, with time I prefer a more hi-fi and refined sound rather than a loud uke!!

I don't really want just LOUD, but my two girls can really belt out the tunes and I need to keep up. What do you suggest?

An acoustic uke can only be so loud though.
Say you get the Koaloha tenor. Chances are, it probably is a bit louder than your current ukes.. but just a bit.
You already have a Koaloha Concert - I can't imagine a Tenor being much much louder than it just because it's up one size.

If you need something much louder than what you already have... you just may have to open your mind to amplification.

Otherwise you may spend a lot of money on something that'll only be marginally louder lol.
Amplification was invented for a very good reason.

ps: How about getting the loudest possible baritone uke and tuning it in GCEA.. it just may work.

Last edited:
I have tried to play my little solid mahogany Ohana with a group of Koaloa tenors and a Sceptre. I can vouch for them being very loud. On the other hand, I just recently started getting into bluegrass, and most bluegrass guitarists want a spruce top dreadnaught for loudness (mostly Martins). These are huge guitars with lots of sound, but I often read them saying on bluegrass forums that even a good Martin has a hard time cutting through a loud banjo. A ukulele is a very quiet instrument compared to most bluegrass instruments with steel strings and picks so stiff you can barely bend them.

Just based on what I know about the sound of koa vs spruce, I think before I decided a Koaloa Sceptre was louder than say a really good spruce top tenor or baritone, I would want to play them side by side. The relatively large lower bout undoubtedly helps a Sceptre be loud. I think that all other things being equal, both size and spruce make for loud instruments. It is said that you can drive spruce harder and it will still sound good, while if you try to play a cedar top guitar too hard it will get muddy. On the other hand, you can play cedar and probably koa at very low volumes and it still sounds good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom