Took my sceptre to the beach

Keef

Reaction score
I only have about 2 min.s worth of material at this point in the game but it felt good to be playing near the surf

Ya know.. If ya run out of "prepared" material, and want to keep playing with a crowd around. Do some experimentation with the chords you know.. Sometimes, I simply enjoy just playing off the cuff, making a tune up as I go with known chords.. I will sit for hours just playing around with chords and chords that sound good together in riffs. Playing with different, and made up strum patterns, and picking patterns, and even variations of them together.. The cool thing is with rants like that, is no two are ever alike.. I have had people around while I just played like that come up and say "That was awesome, what was that song?" Or, "Was that an original ya wrote?". The bad thing is, sometimes, you can never play it again, lol..

That is exactly what I did
I am a super green beginer and I an trying to teach my self how to play and in the process I made some plinking sounds that sond good together so I played those Lol :)
eec962b9.jpg

That is exactly what is great about Ukulele. It has the ability to make music very personal again. People tend to respond favorably to that because it is personal and not big box stuff.

I do the same thing with chords, and simple note riffs. One day I'll learn alittle theory, and that'll be all she wrote. (because then I'LL be doing the writing, get it?)

And I bet the Sceptre's unusual shape gets even more puzzled looks!

"Check it out. That is a sweet ukulele." If the Sceptre were a guitar, it would just look really pompous. Since it's a uke, it's just coooool. :shaka:

This probably goes without saying, but that is one good looking uke! Seeing a "live one" out in the world reminds me of how cool the Sceptre is. Problem is: now I want one even more! D'oh. Luckily I'm too poor to have UAS, lol...

D'unno if I could ever take a Sceptre to the beach, though. I'd probably go crazy with worry...

D'unno if I could ever take a Sceptre to the beach, though. I'd probably go crazy with worry...

I was thinking that too, but then I realized that getting dings or a little damage to it wouldn't bother me so much since the uke is getting play time. It's meant to be carried around and played, y'know? The wear gives it some charm, especially once you see instruments like "Trigger":

trigger9.jpg

I would just be worried about it getting stolen if I were to go in the water and leave it at my chair or something, because it is so unique.

"Check it out. That is a sweet ukulele." If the Sceptre were a guitar, it would just look really pompous. Since it's a uke, it's just coooool. :shaka:

I almost shot water out of my nose just now. Seriously.

I love playing at the beach when I can. When I got my first KoAloha, I went to a beach on Oahu and played everything I knew at the time. Was great!

Are those decals or inlays on your sceptre? Never seen that before!
Cheers,
Skottoman

Absolutely hilarious.

Just tell them you're Bruce Wayne.

That's an awfully nice uke to be taking to the beach... I'd recommend getting a laminate or flea/fluke for your beach playing, if you're looking for protect your investment in the KoAloha.

Last edited:
That's an awfully nice uke to be taking to the beach... I'd recommend getting a laminate or flea/fluke for your beach playing, if you're looking for protect your investment in the KoAloha.

Pshaw. Fun's fun if it's in a Lamborghini or an old hippie's VW Microbus.

I know the Sceptre is a prime instrument, but unless the resale value is that important (but who would want to sell a Sceptre once it's in the collection???), it's no use just keeping it at home.

I know the Sceptre is a prime instrument, but unless the resale value is that important (but who would want to sell a Sceptre once it's in the collection???), it's no use just keeping it at home.

I agree. If you know you're gonna keep it forever, then those "dings" are love marks and give it character, life, and a story. If I ever pass down my KoAloha Superconcert to my grandkids, I want them to be able to tell them stories about it.

But if you have constant UAS and every one of your ukes is a possible re-sale, then I agree you better keep it pretty.

As I remember reading when he first got it, I believe the sceptre was Keef's "starter" uke and that he wanted to avoid UAS and will keep it forever. Man, what a starter uke.

I'm talking about preserving the integrity of the instrument for it's sound quality more specifically. I personally wouldn't want a uke that nice to be in the hot sun and the salty air for too long. I don't mind dings and whatnot.

Aloha Keef,
There are some people who believe that when they buy things, they should make good
use of them and enjoy it......like Willie Nelson.... I'm glad you're enjoying yours.....

Nahh. I take mine hiking and to the beach when I get to go. My kamaka rides everywhere on my motorcycle with me. Take the uke you love to play.

Top Bottom