PDA

View Full Version : Took my sceptre to the beach

Keef
06-27-2010, 04:12 AM
I only have about 2 min.s worth of material at this point in the game but it felt good to be playing near the surf

Tudorp
06-27-2010, 04:44 AM
Ya know.. If ya run out of "prepared" material, and want to keep playing with a crowd around. Do some experimentation with the chords you know.. Sometimes, I simply enjoy just playing off the cuff, making a tune up as I go with known chords.. I will sit for hours just playing around with chords and chords that sound good together in riffs. Playing with different, and made up strum patterns, and picking patterns, and even variations of them together.. The cool thing is with rants like that, is no two are ever alike.. I have had people around while I just played like that come up and say "That was awesome, what was that song?" Or, "Was that an original ya wrote?". The bad thing is, sometimes, you can never play it again, lol..

Keef
06-27-2010, 05:03 AM
That is exactly what I did
I am a super green beginer and I an trying to teach my self how to play and in the process I made some plinking sounds that sond good together so I played those Lol :) http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/Kempocat/eec962b9.jpg

Tudorp
06-27-2010, 05:04 AM
There ya go... Hence, "Music"... ;)

cjensen91910
06-27-2010, 06:05 AM
That is exactly what is great about Ukulele. It has the ability to make music very personal again. People tend to respond favorably to that because it is personal and not big box stuff.

jehicks87
06-27-2010, 06:09 AM
I do the same thing with chords, and simple note riffs. One day I'll learn alittle theory, and that'll be all she wrote. (because then I'LL be doing the writing, get it?)

StereoJoker
06-27-2010, 07:04 AM
And I bet the Sceptre's unusual shape gets even more puzzled looks!

"Check it out. That is a sweet ukulele." If the Sceptre were a guitar, it would just look really pompous. Since it's a uke, it's just coooool. :shaka:

FromTheWayside
06-27-2010, 08:11 AM
This probably goes without saying, but that is one good looking uke! Seeing a "live one" out in the world reminds me of how cool the Sceptre is. Problem is: now I want one even more! D'oh. Luckily I'm too poor to have UAS, lol...

D'unno if I could ever take a Sceptre to the beach, though. I'd probably go crazy with worry...

StereoJoker
06-27-2010, 10:15 AM
D'unno if I could ever take a Sceptre to the beach, though. I'd probably go crazy with worry...

I was thinking that too, but then I realized that getting dings or a little damage to it wouldn't bother me so much since the uke is getting play time. It's meant to be carried around and played, y'know? The wear gives it some charm, especially once you see instruments like "Trigger":

http://stillisstillmoving.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/trigger9.jpg

I would just be worried about it getting stolen if I were to go in the water and leave it at my chair or something, because it is so unique.

jehicks87
06-27-2010, 11:40 AM

"Check it out. That is a sweet ukulele." If the Sceptre were a guitar, it would just look really pompous. Since it's a uke, it's just coooool. :shaka:

I almost shot water out of my nose just now. Seriously.

Skottoman
06-27-2010, 11:43 AM
I love playing at the beach when I can. When I got my first KoAloha, I went to a beach on Oahu and played everything I knew at the time. Was great!

Are those decals or inlays on your sceptre? Never seen that before!
Cheers,
Skottoman

jordan bello
06-27-2010, 11:55 AM

Absolutely hilarious.

Ahnko Honu
06-27-2010, 12:40 PM

Just tell them you're Bruce Wayne.

mealfrog41
06-27-2010, 02:16 PM
That's an awfully nice uke to be taking to the beach... I'd recommend getting a laminate or flea/fluke for your beach playing, if you're looking for protect your investment in the KoAloha.

StereoJoker
06-27-2010, 02:55 PM
That's an awfully nice uke to be taking to the beach... I'd recommend getting a laminate or flea/fluke for your beach playing, if you're looking for protect your investment in the KoAloha.

Pshaw. Fun's fun if it's in a Lamborghini or an old hippie's VW Microbus.

I know the Sceptre is a prime instrument, but unless the resale value is that important (but who would want to sell a Sceptre once it's in the collection???), it's no use just keeping it at home.

jordan bello
06-27-2010, 03:41 PM

I know the Sceptre is a prime instrument, but unless the resale value is that important (but who would want to sell a Sceptre once it's in the collection???), it's no use just keeping it at home.

I agree. If you know you're gonna keep it forever, then those "dings" are love marks and give it character, life, and a story. If I ever pass down my KoAloha Superconcert to my grandkids, I want them to be able to tell them stories about it.

But if you have constant UAS and every one of your ukes is a possible re-sale, then I agree you better keep it pretty.

As I remember reading when he first got it, I believe the sceptre was Keef's "starter" uke and that he wanted to avoid UAS and will keep it forever. Man, what a starter uke.

mealfrog41
06-27-2010, 03:57 PM

I'm talking about preserving the integrity of the instrument for it's sound quality more specifically. I personally wouldn't want a uke that nice to be in the hot sun and the salty air for too long. I don't mind dings and whatnot.

mm stan
06-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Aloha Keef,
There are some people who believe that when they buy things, they should make good
use of them and enjoy it......like Willie Nelson.... I'm glad you're enjoying yours.....

arw
06-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Glen Hansard's guitar - It sounds great.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cKmeJldZl342/610x.jpg

haolejohn
06-27-2010, 06:22 PM

Nahh. I take mine hiking and to the beach when I get to go. My kamaka rides everywhere on my motorcycle with me. Take the uke you love to play.

cletus
06-27-2010, 07:03 PM
I think that it's WAY cool that you all take your ukes along on your adventures in the outdoors. I understand the investment/resale factor all too well, but life is short and these things are made to be used! Just my opinion.

P-co
06-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Took a couple of ukes to Gnaraloo Station in NW Western Australia. World class waves meet the semi arid desert in this remote part of the world.
Took my fluke to withstand the potential battering and an Eleuke to play quietly in the car driving up.
Friend Mel toying with the Eleuke.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14027
My abode.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14025

Keef
06-28-2010, 02:55 AM
The gold stripes got put on to cover my first tiny imperfection
I have decided that I'm going to try and take good care of it however if I'm playing this is the uke I'll be using hence it's going to be taken to the beach or anywhere else uke music is required
:) the people in front of me did turn around and look at me . It was hard to tell if it was out of admiration or if it's that look you give parents of crying babys :)

StereoJoker
06-28-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm talking about preserving the integrity of the instrument for it's sound quality more specifically. I personally wouldn't want a uke that nice to be in the hot sun and the salty air for too long. I don't mind dings and whatnot.

Eh, maybe. It seems pretty sturdy. I mean, I could understand not wanting to stick it directly in the sun's path in the heat, in a salt-air environment, for days at a time, but after a nice wipe-down, the Sceptre oughta be just fine. Soundwise, it's always going to sound awesome.

I just have a lot of faith in the KoAloha craftsmanship regarding everything about their ukuleles. And especially since they're Hawaii-based, I could imagine they've factored in beach-y variables.

...I have no idea what I just said. ANYWAY.

The gold stripes got put on to cover my first tiny imperfection

I still think that looks awesome, even if it wasn't luthier-done. Now it looks like your own "Keef Model" signature uke!

arw
06-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Took a couple of ukes to Gnaraloo Station in NW Western Australia. World class waves meet the semi arid desert in this remote part of the world.
Took my fluke to withstand the potential battering and an Eleuke to play quietly in the car driving up.
Friend Mel toying with the Eleuke.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14027
My abode.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14025

Enjoyed the photos. This must be what heaven is like.

BeachDog
06-28-2010, 01:42 PM
That is exactly what I did
I am a super green beginer and I an trying to teach my self how to play and in the process I made some plinking sounds that sond good together so I played those Lol :) http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/Kempocat/eec962b9.jpg
Where is South Florida are you? I'm also a South Floridian uke newbie looking for other newbies to "plink" with.

Keef
06-28-2010, 04:13 PM
I currently live in Stuart Fl.
And I know almost nothing about playing a uke yet so many say it's so easy to play
I'm having a hard time understanding how I can teach my self when my teacher knows nothing :)
Oh just incase I didn't mention it before the stripes are goldleaf foil adhesive stripes I bought a large roll of this stuff to put a stripe on my hot rod pickup truck and I had a bunch of it left http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/Kempocat/IMG_0018.jpg

mealfrog41
06-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Eh, maybe. It seems pretty sturdy. I mean, I could understand not wanting to stick it directly in the sun's path in the heat, in a salt-air environment, for days at a time, but after a nice wipe-down, the Sceptre oughta be just fine. Soundwise, it's always going to sound awesome.

I just have a lot of faith in the KoAloha craftsmanship regarding everything about their ukuleles. And especially since they're Hawaii-based, I could imagine they've factored in beach-y variables.

...I have no idea what I just said. ANYWAY.

I still think that looks awesome, even if it wasn't luthier-done. Now it looks like your own "Keef Model" signature uke!

I had a guitar that got significant wear and tear from frequent trips to the beach, so this experience was the basis for my suggestion. I just personally would rather have a mint KoAloha and a cheap beach uke, but to each his own.

Keef
06-28-2010, 05:13 PM
I really really really do respect everyones opinion after all we all must find our own way through life.
Here's just a few things that I have reflected on. Right now I have a old banjo uke hanging on the wall it's about 70 80 85 years old who knows but someone played the tar out of that thing and it really shows and to me I can see the history in it's wear even though I know nothing about it's previous owners
Then I look at the stuff my parents saved their whole lives and now their both gone my point is material items are temporary and so is life heck if I live to 80 I only have about 30 years left
Now their is no dought that the sceptre is a work of art but it's main function is to make music so that's what I'm trying to do . The sceptre is worth about $1000 new
And a new car cost let's say $23000 how come we are willing to completely use up the car until it's junk but not the uke? Has anyone spent over $1000 going on vacation or put new flooring in your house heck you walk on that lol :)
Heck the sun and sand isn't good for me either but I'm not going to keep my self in mint condition and not fully live only to die anyways
I'm just like some of you I collect things and keep them safe and warm and dry but I am really starting to question why

cletus
06-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Thank you Keef. I agree wholeheartedly.

mealfrog41
06-28-2010, 05:38 PM
I really really really do respect everyones opinion after all we all must find our own way through life.
Here's just a few things that I have reflected on. Right now I have a old banjo uke hanging on the wall it's about 70 80 85 years old who knows but someone played the tar out of that thing and it really shows and to me I can see the history in it's wear even though I know nothing about it's previous owners
Then I look at the stuff my parents saved their whole lives and now their both gone my point is material items are temporary and so is life heck if I live to 80 I only have about 30 years left
Now their is no dought that the sceptre is a work of art but it's main function is to make music so that's what I'm trying to do . The sceptre is worth about $1000 new
And a new car cost let's say $23000 how come we are willing to completely use up the car until it's junk but not the uke? Has anyone spent over $1000 going on vacation or put new flooring in your house heck you walk on that lol :)
Heck the sun and sand isn't good for me either but I'm not going to keep my self in mint condition and not fully live only to die anyways
I'm just like some of you I collect things and keep them safe and warm and dry but I am really starting to question why

I think that's a great outlook Keef. My original advice was just in the case that you did want to protect it, since I've seen what the beach can do to wood, but since you don't then don't even worry about it. Things are just things, I literally don't own one thing that's as nice as that uke!

Tudorp
06-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Awesome point... The using a car up until it's junk was the perfect analogy. Makes me want to keep driving my Uke like I stole it too.. <grin>

I collect antiques, but not neccissarily expensive priceless ones. I just like old, rusty, aged stuff. Especially mechanical items, and musical instruments. My 1921 player piano looks like it was driven hard and put up wet, and I have kept it that way on purpose. It still plays like it did back then. It has a history of spending it's young life in saloons and honky tonks, and it shows, and that is ALL part of it's charm. My grandmother's very early 1904 Singer sewing machine still works, but you can see all the sewing my grandmother did over the many years. It still has the vintage needles, buttons, threads, and accessories in the drawers. My grand mother did allot of sewing as she was a professional seamstress, and I have thought about restoring that old singer a couple times, but just couldn't bring myself to erase her history on it. Your Uke is valuable today, but you can not put a price on the use, and scars you will put on it when your kids, and grandkids end up with it 50-100 years from now. You can't buy that. THAT's the good stuff.. <wink>

Keef
06-29-2010, 02:49 AM
meal frog just gave me a great idea for a uke if I decide to build another one wouldnt it be great to make one out of driftwood found on the beach :)
as far as history and old items go I have a 1976 mini cooper it has dull sun fadded paint and rust its right hand drive from britian
and I just cant bring my self to restoring it and giving it a shiney new paint job to me its like striping it of its history
but im weird like that :)

P-co
06-29-2010, 02:56 PM
All these old, aged things remind me of something... me.

mealfrog41
06-29-2010, 07:06 PM
meal frog just gave me a great idea for a uke if I decide to build another one wouldnt it be great to make one out of driftwood found on the beach :)
as far as history and old items go I have a 1976 mini cooper it has dull sun fadded paint and rust its right hand drive from britian
and I just cant bring my self to restoring it and giving it a shiney new paint job to me its like striping it of its history
but im weird like that :)

That's a pretty sweet idea. I wonder what kind of tone you could achieve... Cool project regardless of the sound though. Maybe carve out a bowl for the body out of a solid piece of driftwood and slap a decent top on it. Definitely keep me updated if you attempt this!

Keef
06-30-2010, 02:28 AM
most drift wood I have seen is all weathered and worm eaten and thats what makes it cool I think the trick would be to covertly reinforce it with epoxy and internal braces while leaving the outside natural
I really have no business starting a new project with all the things I need to do around here
but you never know :)

P-co
06-30-2010, 04:22 AM
most drift wood I have seen is all weathered and worm eaten and thats what makes it cool I think the trick would be to covertly reinforce it with epoxy and internal braces while leaving the outside natural
I really have no business starting a new project with all the things I need to do around here
but you never know :)

How cool would a uke made from bleached weathered drift wood look? Not sure if it would be possible, maybe if you left a clean one to the elements for a while then restrung and tidyed it up you may get the effect. Keepme posted if anyone is considering it.