Another string thread - help needed!

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
Right guys, I know there are posts like this all the time and I should pay more attention but I need some help with strings. I've got a Kala KA-CE elctro concert and I'm beginning to think it's time for a re-string? She is currently equiped with the Aquilla Nylguts she came with. All in all I found these to be nice loud strings and nice to play. But I don't want to get stuck in a rut and just use the same old strings. Plus I think that when they start getting old (well mine have anyway) the Aquilla strings tend to sound a bit... er dry and harsh I guess? Well my uke mahogany, though laminate I think I was told after buying it (Damn sales pitch!) so I'm wondering what strings to order for her that might be more suitable and make her really sing? I read a thread last week from somebody who put Worth Clears on his Mahogany Mainland Tenor and said that that really opened her up. Well I was considering Worth Clears myself, is this a good choice and are there any other strings I should try? I wanna just buy a few types at once, so then I've got them there to swap and change?

Also, is the string gauge between a Soprano and a Concert greatle different? My beater Soprano could do with new strings and I was thinking of trying Aquilla but don't really wanna waste a pack as I fear they may sound too harsh? So I was thinking of taking the Aquillas from my Kala when I re-string her and putting them on the beater? They seem quite a bit thicker mind, I dunno if I could tie a knot in them? I know string come in different sizes for soprano, concert etc but I thought that related more to length then qauge? My beater has the prototype Bushman strings I was given for free a few months back, and I'm not sure if he sent me Concerts instead of the requested soprano but they went on and play fine?

Also, how does one go about all this string trickery?

DSC01907.jpg

I think I know what I'm doing here but just wondered if there were any guides incase I should get stuck? Note the chunck out the bridge just under the saddle, I was gutted when I discovered that after I bought it. Had forgotten all about it actually until now... *weep*

I use concert strings on all of my sopranos, except my 50's Harmony. I'm just a little concerned about the tension on the bridge since it's 50+ years old and it tune it to D. But I haven't had any problems using Aquila concert strings on my newer sopranos, and I think they make them a bit louder.

I have experimented with various strings. GHS, Worth, D'Adderios and Aquila. They all have pros and cons. What really matters is how they sound and feel to you. Strings are a personnal preference for sound and playability. Some are thicker and thinner than others. I replace my strings monthly because I play a lot. I can hear when they start to go flat and don't have a fresh sound. With all that said, I have always returned to my favorite strings, the Aquilas. Check out Aldrene's Uke Minutes on "Replacing Strings.
Keep Strumming......

Oscar Schmidt OU4 Low G
Oscar Schmidt OU6-LCE High G

Top Bottom