Countryman banjo uke... any good?

I dont know about this specific one, but from the looks of the hardware, and what I can see in the pics, it appears to be a pretty good quality built banjo. Brass brackets, J hooks & tailpiece are nice.

i'd remove the back on it... resonators have openings around them so as to allow sound waves to escape. that looks like they'd trap them in.

i'd remove the back on it... resonators have openings around them so as to allow sound waves to escape. that looks like they'd trap them in.

It looks a lot like my Gold Tone BUC banjolele. If it's like my Gold Tone then there is no need to remove the back. I think that if you look carefully at the pictures you'll notice that there is a gap of about 3/16" between the rear resonator and the sides. I tune the Gold Tone GCAE (low G). It's plenty loud!

I was hoping, when the time came to get a banjo uke, to get the Grafton UB2:

http://www.andybanjo.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_UB195OWN

It's a little more expensive, but obviously a much nicer instrument with a better quality build/finish etc. What do you reckon? I just see me buying the cheap one, it being OK but not great, and me still hankering after the Grafton, so then thats £140 wasted that could've gone towards the Grafton?...

Top Bottom