New Uke - suggestions?

RON<>VA

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a new tenor in the $200-$250 range. Considering a Lanikai. Pros-Cons? Other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I guess it depends what you are going after.

I like Kala more than Lanikai. So....in that price range, if I were looking for something:

- cool looking - Some Kala Mangoes fall in that range
- not so common - Kala F hole archtop.
- "durable" - Flukes

Ohanas fall in that range but I haven't had any experience with them. (YET)

For me, I'd pay a little more than $250 and get this
http://cgi.ebay.com/SALE-Koa-Pili-K...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I'd go to the The Ukulele Shop and talk to Rob for an hour or so before you bought anything though.

Thanks for your suggestions. On the question of what am I looking for - being new to all this - little hard to say. Probably more traditional look and I am thinking a more mellow sound as opposed to a harder, sharper sound (if that makes sense) Probably stick with acoustic, unless you feel that strongly that I should have electronics/pickup? Will use it mostly for personal enjoyment or small groups; probably not big, public performances.

Interesting you mention talking to Rob. I will see him in Annapolis, MD. this Saturday for the 6th Annual Mid-Atlantic Ukulele Invitational (M.A.U.I.) I checked out the link for the Koa-Pili-Koko. Really nice looking and not that much extra $$. Am I better off with solid wood?

For me, I'd pay a little more than $250 and get this
http://cgi.ebay.com/SALE-Koa-Pili-K...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I'd go to the The Ukulele Shop and talk to Rob for an hour or so before you bought anything though.[/quote]

Check out this thread for wood differences. click me!

as for pick-ups, unless you like playing with effects, like playing through an amp or play live, I wouldn't sweat it.

I've got the Lanikai LSM-T Solid Mahogany Tenor. I'm pretty happy with it. Of course, I'm already looking for my next one, but that's how it works, right? No complaints with the Lanikai, though.

Can't go wrong with Kala in general. I like the solid spruce top tenor! Great acoustic tone and nice plugged in. But it is a bit snappy, which from your description is not what you are looking for. The archtop is nice too, but not as loud acoustically, but mellower than the solid spruce top. Plugged in not much difference I thought. The mango hasn't got as much projection. Out of the Kalas, from what you said, you might be looking for that archtop...

Ohana, all ukes a great value for money, IMO tone is better than most (if not all) others in that price range. They do an all-solid mahogany tenor that fits within your budget. The koa tenor is nice too, even though laminated, I think it sounds better than many solid-tops! The Ohana neck is a bit chunkier than the Kalas - so that is something you gotta like.

For a tone-monster, go for a Fluke! This uke is louder than all others, has a nice tone and looks cool! But tone is quite crisp, so maybe not mellow enough. And perhaps a bit out of your budget range?

I think they all of these are all nicer-sounding than Lanikai.

Thank You

Thanks folks for the great suggestions. I am leaving in about a half hour for Annapolis, Md. for a mid-atlantic uke get-to-gether. Hopefully I will be returning late tonight with a new tenor! Man, I have caught the Uke virus!! I blame it all on UU. And I believe it's terminal! ;)

Ron

Top Bottom